Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

Default Just bought a Rockwell horizontal mill

Are there any online groups for these mills? I came accross the mill and it
looks like is was used just a few times, its as new as they get. Doesn't
come with much an arbor and a few 30 taper collets. The condition is what
sold me, nothing like a new old machine. Any direction for help would be
great. It will fit nice in the corner for an odd job from time to time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

"wayne mak" wrote in message
Are there any online groups for these mills? I came accross the mill and
it looks like is was used just a few times, its as new as they get.
Doesn't come with much an arbor and a few 30 taper collets. The condition
is what sold me, nothing like a new old machine. Any direction for help
would be great. It will fit nice in the corner for an odd job from time to
time.

I think that is a Rockwell Yahoo group, but it might be for lathes. There
are lots of knowledgeable folks on the Practical Machinist web site so it
may be worth while to post a note there, though the members tend to focus on
the higher end tools.

At least one of the folks here has a Rockwell combined horizontal/vertical
mill, so maybe he'll pop in with some comments.

Mike

--
http://NewsGuy.com/overview.htm 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

Thanks Mike, I didn't see a bunch of info on the web. I did find the
uploaded manual, the seller has an orginal book/manual but I will be picking
up the machine/manual monday. The big reason I bought the machine was its
condition for the most part it looks new
"Mike Henry" wrote in message

"wayne mak" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

Well, I've got an old Rockwell catalog and can scan in the pages that
describe the mill if that would be of interest to you. Sometimes that is
useful if collecting old, original accessories is important to you.

As you probably know, the Rockwell mills are popular for home shops. I've
got a comparably sized Clausing 8540 horizontal mill that is *almost* back
up to running condition. It's using parts from two different mills and
getting it up to operating status has taken me several years of very
sporadic work. Buying a like new Rockwell was a smart decision!

Mike

"Mike Henry" wrote in message

"wayne mak" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

The price made it very easy too. I have a millport mill and a nichols
horizontal so I don't need another mill. I will some times just flip it to
pay for some other tool but when I find a like new machine its hard to see
it go out the door. This one is small, and the price is ok to sell me to
keep it. It comes with an old M head that has never been fit to it so that
will be a nice project, I spent ALL winter making kitchen cabinets, then
ripping the old ones out moving walls and reinstalling. Thats done so no
more saw dust, chips.

But now its getting warm out so time to make more stuff to fit my tractors,
rebuild the kids gocart and make the grass green.

"Mike Henry" wrote in message

"wayne mak" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:08:10 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

"wayne mak" wrote in message
Are there any online groups for these mills? I came accross the mill and
it looks like is was used just a few times, its as new as they get.
Doesn't come with much an arbor and a few 30 taper collets. The condition
is what sold me, nothing like a new old machine. Any direction for help
would be great. It will fit nice in the corner for an odd job from time to
time.

I think that is a Rockwell Yahoo group, but it might be for lathes. There
are lots of knowledgeable folks on the Practical Machinist web site so it
may be worth while to post a note there, though the members tend to focus on
the higher end tools.

At least one of the folks here has a Rockwell combined horizontal/vertical
mill, so maybe he'll pop in with some comments.

Mike

The Hardinge Mill Yahoo group has a number of Rockwell owners. I sold
mine several years ago to a guy who owns a string of KFCs and he did a
masterful rebuild of it. ****ing marvelous

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 05:15:50 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 05:42:15 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

The Hardinge Mill Yahoo group has a number of Rockwell owners. I sold
mine several years ago to a guy who owns a string of KFCs and he did a
masterful rebuild of it. ****ing marvelous

Speaking of KFC, a friend sent this picture to me via email yesterday.
I found the URL for the online version.
http://www.fortliberty.org/patriotic...lary-kfc.shtml

ROFLMAO!

Did you get the pics of the black helo from me last week at your
lightspeed address? I didn't hear back from you.

Yes I did. Sorry for the non reply. I still dont have internet service
during the week, but have found a couple places that I can log into
via wifi..and there is a wifi source I can sometimes connect to from
my rv, if I stretch my Linksys USB device up and put it on the roof of
the RV. No idea of what the access point is..but its slow, id'd wierd
and sporadic

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

I will have to look again I didn't see one with yahoo.
"Clif Holland" wrote in message
Yahoo has a Rockwell Mill group. Not many members but all have them and
very informative.

--

Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

wrote:

"wayne mak" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clif Holland

rockwellmillingmachine

Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

wrote:

"wayne mak" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

Thank you
When I did a search in yahoo groups for "rockwell mill" it came back as no
clubs, I realy did think their would be a yahoo group
"Clif Holland" wrote in message
rockwellmillingmachine

Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com