Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default Carbide advances - new methods to watch for

This was extracted from a NASA news letter I get I think this is a winner:

(NASA) TECHNOLOGIES OF THE WEEK
New techniques are available to create nanograin carbide powders
based on spray conversion and carbothermic synthesis methods. Particles
of between 0.001 and 0.1 micron can be created for applications in
industrial cutting tools, consumer tools, drill bits, and saws. A
recycling capability allows old carbide tools to be oxidized and
reprocessed to generate nanograin powders.
View this technology at: http://link.abpi.net/l.php?20060314A3

A means of dispersing and stabilizing nanoscale particles evenly in
a single step using heterocoagulation has been developed. By
combining a charged species and oppositely charged particles in an
emulsion, the species and particles accumulate and remain evenly
dispersed for use in liquids, solids, gels, lotions, pastes, and
creams.
View this technology at: http://link.abpi.net/l.php?20060314A4

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the post.

I just called Umicore and they make the powder. The Umicore rep is
going to see if he can find anyone who is pressing it into shapes.

We refer to these as sub-micron and are seeing tremendous success with
them. They can give both good harness for long wear as well as
extremely high strength to prevent breakage. In addition they can
take a better surface finish during grinding for smoother edges.

Tom