Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TheAndroid

Default Slightly embarrassing question about shop made reamers.

I've tried them all. Lautard's toolmaker's, Gingery's "d-bit" ,
Duplex's D-bit and professionally made reamers. The only one which make
a hole sized "correctly" for a given diameter of drill rod is the
professional one. The one's I make are making holes which are too
small. I somehow have managed to make W2 shrink in heat treatment!
Or more likely, I am not honing these things correctly after I
temper them. Are there any online guides as to how to sharpen then hone
shopmade reamers? I've read that your are to hone the flat, not hone
the flat, hone a radius on the leading edge, leave the end flat, etc...
Its such a simple thing, yet I am spinning around aimlessly.
I have the Howe Gunsmithing book and am reading it. Unfortunately, I
don't have the equipment to make multiple flute tools at hand. I want
simple holes for shafts. Am I expecting too much?
For example, I would very much like to make a simple coil winder. I
would expect that the winding shaft would go through a reamed hole in a
block of aluminum. That hole should have a "close" fit.
I know could use oilite bearings for this. However, aren't they
oversize on purpose so when pressed in they constrict to the intended
shaft size? If so, I need an accurate hole in which to press them. Back
to the reamers.....

Andy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Baker

TheAndroid wrote in message
ups.com...
I've tried them all. Lautard's toolmaker's, Gingery's "d-bit" ,
Duplex's D-bit and professionally made reamers. The only one which make
a hole sized "correctly" for a given diameter of drill rod is the
professional one. The one's I make are making holes which are too
small. I somehow have managed to make W2 shrink in heat treatment!

How about making your D bit reamers a thou oversize, ream a trial bore,
measure it and then polish the cutting end down accordingly until it cuts to
size?
--
Dave Baker
www.pumaracing.co.uk

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Try O-1.

With a 400 degree F temper to Rc 62 it should expand by .0014" per inch
dia.

Then polish to suitable dia.

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
woodworker88

On the oilite questions, I have had several embarassing failures with
oilite bushings, particularly in smaller sizes. Some of the bushings
have to be machined after pressing (and not spin in the bores) , so I
give a good strong fit with a vise or hydraulic press. And the inner
bores look like washboards! I typically have to drill and ream the
bushings, which are intended to be a finished size.

basement shop question [email protected] Woodturning 24 September 29th 05 08:55 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Shop made tenoning jig Chuck Hoffman Woodworking 2 December 3rd 04 02:40 PM
Slightly tricky plumbing question Andrew Koenig Home Ownership 3 November 6th 03 09:45 PM