Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chris

Default Curring stainless steel shim?

I want to make some oval gaskets with about a 2 inch center hole and 2 10
mm stud holes. I need to make multi layer stainless shim gaskets, it's for
a turbo to manifold type application where the interface will be cherry red
hot a lot of the time. Only multi layer shim gaskets work reliably. What's
the best way to cut say 5 thou thick stainless sheet without burring it? I
need to cut the oval outline, the 2 inch hole and the 2 ten millimeter stud
holes in about 5 pieces of material. thanks.
--
Best Regards,
Chris.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Chris wrote:

What's the best way to cut say 5 thou thick stainless sheet without
burring it? I need to cut the oval outline, the 2 inch hole and the 2 ten
millimeter stud holes in about 5 pieces of material. thanks.

Etching.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Ferguson

I would probably sandwich the gasket material between two other pieces
of metal, maybe 1/8 inch thick steel. Sandwiching should greatly reduce
burring, since the edges are fully constrained. I might still expect to
take a dremel with a small stone on it to clean up any edges that felt
rough.

Richard

Chris wrote:
I want to make some oval gaskets with about a 2 inch center hole and 2 10
mm stud holes. I need to make multi layer stainless shim gaskets, it's for
a turbo to manifold type application where the interface will be cherry red
hot a lot of the time. Only multi layer shim gaskets work reliably. What's
the best way to cut say 5 thou thick stainless sheet without burring it? I
need to cut the oval outline, the 2 inch hole and the 2 ten millimeter stud
holes in about 5 pieces of material. thanks.

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com
Sculptures in copper and other metals
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

"Chris" wrote in message
I want to make some oval gaskets with about a 2
inch center hole and 2 10
mm stud holes. I need to make multi layer
stainless shim gaskets, it's for
a turbo to manifold type application where the
interface will be cherry red
hot a lot of the time. Only multi layer shim
gaskets work reliably. What's
the best way to cut say 5 thou thick stainless
sheet without burring it? I
need to cut the oval outline, the 2 inch hole
and the 2 ten millimeter stud
holes in about 5 pieces of material. thanks.
--
Best Regards,
Chris.

Sounds a good application for laser cutting.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

"Chris" wrote in message
I want to make some oval gaskets with about a 2 inch center hole and 2 10
mm stud holes

We use tinner snips at work for cutting steel shim up to about .020". Sharp
snips will reduce the burr to almost nothing. You can remove what's left
with an oil stone easily.

As for the holes, we use shim punch and die sets. Any professional die maker
should have one. Perhaps you have a die shop near you, or know someone who
is a die maker? If they're sharp, you'll get very little burr which can also
be removed with a stone.

Regards,

Robin