Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Ferguson

Default Curring stainless steel shim?

I would probably sandwich the gasket material between two other pieces
of metal, maybe 1/8 inch thick steel. Sandwiching should greatly reduce
burring, since the edges are fully constrained. I might still expect to
take a dremel with a small stone on it to clean up any edges that felt
rough.

Richard

Chris wrote:
I want to make some oval gaskets with about a 2 inch center hole and 2 10
mm stud holes. I need to make multi layer stainless shim gaskets, it's for
a turbo to manifold type application where the interface will be cherry red
hot a lot of the time. Only multi layer shim gaskets work reliably. What's
the best way to cut say 5 thou thick stainless sheet without burring it? I
need to cut the oval outline, the 2 inch hole and the 2 ten millimeter stud
holes in about 5 pieces of material. thanks.

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com
Sculptures in copper and other metals