Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bernard Arnest

Default cost to cast steel, expected?

Hi,
For a different project, where casting is almost undoubtedly the best
option (as opposed to the ambiguous vise, for which I've decided to go
ahead and machine from solid steel, and will begin on this Monday), as
I call around, what quotes should I expect to have a part sand-cast in
steel (not iron)? Assuming small (5-30 lbs, several small parts may
need to be cast), and quite simple (no mind-boggling spruing systems
needed)?

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

The cost will depend on how many of each part you want cast, whether or
not you are supplying patterns, what steel you want, and a lot more.
For instance, I had 10 sets of two different parts cast 6 years
ago. I had them use the original parts to make each mold. This is
very time consuming, since they have to accurately position the part in
both halves of the cask each time and make a "match plate" for each
part. These parts were made of a mild steel. Cost: $60 for each part.
5 years ago I had 6 10 Kg anvils cast in 4130 and heat treated.
Same process, and cost was $175 each.
In both cases, I had to deal with some voids. It doesn't take a
fancy part to require complex or at least trial-and-error gate and sprue
placement to take care of shrinkage, gas pockets, etc.. So, the
smaller the quantity, the more likely you are to have to face that problem.
I my 2 examples above, the exact size of the finished parts was not
critical, but if it was, we'd have had to wrap the original parts in
tape or something to increase their size to account for shrinkage. Cast
IRON shrinks about 1/8" per foot, but cast STEEL shrinks about half
again as much because the melt temperature is about 1000 degrees higher.

If you are going to produce patterns, locate your foundry before you
make them. Visit the place and discuss what you want to do so you won't
be dissappointed later.

As we speak, my son and I are completing a project where we are using a
commercial aluminum foundry to cast a certain part in quantity. We had
them make the patterns ($2500) and it still took 3 tries over a several
month period to get the gating right!

Pete Stanaitis