Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Goldner

Default Anchoring Machne tools to floor

I did exactly as you have described with redheads. One nut to anchor to the
floor and another to level the lathe. My lathe was a 12 X 36 chinese import
(good lathe BTW). The only reason I anchored it to the floor was because the
two pedestals that made up the base were rather narrow and I was worried
about tipping the lathe over while using it. If not for that, I would not
have anchored it to the floor. In the end it worked out ok, however, I would
not use redheads again as they did not all (I used eight of them) bite into
the concrete enough to anchor well.

BTW, I used a 6" Starret precision level to level it. It was a bitch to do.

"David Utidjian" wrote in message
I need to anchor a 9"swing 40" long bed (with cabinet base) Rockwell lathe
to a concrete floor. I need to make it as level as possible and then level
the bed. There are level adjusting nuts and screws between the cast iron
bed and the cabinet.
The cabinet has 1/2" diameter holes in 4 tabs at its base.
The floor is well cured smooth flat concrete (poured about 30 years ago).
I have a Starrett No. 199 Master Precision Level for the final leveling.

My plan was to use 3/8" X 3 3/4" "redhead" or "ramset" anchors and those
automotive shims that are about 1" square with U slots in them as the
levelling shims.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?
Are there better tricks for getting the cabinet level than jamming in
shims?
Would 3/8" be strong enough? Would(approx) 3" of the bolt below grade be
deep enough?

I was thinking since the bolts will actually be studs and if I have enough
thread above grade I could first put a big washer and nut to secure the
stud in the concrete and then add another nut and washer as a "jack" then
comes the tab on the cabinet base and then a final washer and nut. Of
course this arrangement would raise the cabinet tabs at least the
thickness of two nuts and two washers above the floor surface. I would
also make leveling MUCH easier. Does that sound like a reasonable idea?
Should I go with the full 1/2" anchors instead of 3/8"?

Also... currently the lathe is about 6" from a cinderbock wall. Makes it
damn difficult to clean behind it. Since I have a lot of room to play with
how much clearance from the wall would be a good idea? Just enough to walk
around it easily?

Since this is my first time setting up such a (relatively) large machine
and since concrete anchor bolts are rather permanent I would like to do it
right the first time.

-DU-...etc...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Utidjian

Rich Goldner wrote:
I did exactly as you have described with redheads. One nut to anchor to the
floor and another to level the lathe. My lathe was a 12 X 36 chinese import
(good lathe BTW). The only reason I anchored it to the floor was because the
two pedestals that made up the base were rather narrow and I was worried
about tipping the lathe over while using it. If not for that, I would not
have anchored it to the floor. In the end it worked out ok, however, I would
not use redheads again as they did not all (I used eight of them) bite into
the concrete enough to anchor well.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that experience with me. I am also
concerned about the integrity of the redheads. Seems that they require
an accurate hole be drilled (not too large) and also good quality and
condition concrete floor. I am not sure about the quality of my floor...
only its age.

BTW, I used a 6" Starret precision level to level it. It was a bitch to do.

I can imagine it was... what with eight things to adjust! A lot of deep
knee bends. ;-)

-DU-...etc...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

Speaking of Starret levels I have an 18 inch one for sale.make offer.
Once your lathe is level and settled epoxy it with some marine grade
stuff. Easy to undo if you ever need to move with a heat gun

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:32:47 -0500, David Utidjian
wrote:

Rich Goldner wrote:
[...]

Dave, Ive propably put in a thousand redheads to hold barfeeders,
shears, etc etc..and have yet to have one come loose. Ive seen em
sheared off and saw one strip the nut off when they parked a fork lift
under the traveling back gauge of a 1/2" shear and hit the go button.

Always use one bigger than you think you will need. Always drill the
proper sized hole. Go all the way through or at least 4" in a footing.
Always install a big flat washer, a lock washer then the nut and
tighten it down snug.

Yes..they do require a decent concrete floor. But if you are putting a
lathe on a crumbling floor..dont bother using that fancy Starrett
level..cause that floor is gonna be heaving all the time.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Never_Enough_Tools

"Rich Goldner" wrote in message
nk.net...

Snipped

In the end it worked out ok, however, I would
not use redheads again as they did not all (I used eight of them) bite
into the concrete enough to anchor well.

If you think loose Redheads will be an issue, put some epoxy in the holes
first.....

I did this with a floor mounted bender and it is ROCK SOLID !!!

HTH

Jeff