Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default online source for Victor O-rings? - FOLLOWUP

Wayne Cook wrote:
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:38:07 -0500, tomcas
wrote:

You are correct, those are not standard 2-xxx sizes and that's why they
are more expensive in low quantity. Nitrile or Buna N will be fine with
acetylene, not sure about oxygen.

Buna N will not work. BTDT. They last about a week. Don't know about
nitrile but looking at the specs and figuring that it was oxygen (both
o-rings are exposed to oxygen while only one to the acetylene and both
went bad at the same time) that did them in and looking at ozone
resistance I went with Viton when I ordered mine for my Purox torch. I
got 100 of them from MSC several years ago (more than a lifetime
supply but the smallest quantity they sold them in).

Yup, I've finished my research. Viton in size 006 and 010 will fit and work OK
for Victor 100 and J-100 handles. Thanks everyone. In case you want to see a
picture of a crappy O-ring I took off a torch, see the pic:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/tem...ictorOring.jpg

That one was flattened, cracked, and splitting. Incidentally, the tip still
worked OK, go figger.

Grant

FOLLOWUP: Victor apparently uses Hypalon - chlorosulfonated polyethylene -
O-rings according to an old "Welding, Cutting & Heating Guide" (ca. 1969). - GWE
Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

wrote:

[...]

Interesting and good info to have. I must say though that the Viton
rings are holding up just fine for me. I don't think I've replaced one
in several years now that I've gone to them. The Buta-N rings wouldn't
last a month when I tried them.
Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

wrote:

[...]

Wayne, you must think like I do. Do you know what size Viton rings you order?

GWE
Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 13:44:19 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Interesting and good info to have. I must say though that the Viton
rings are holding up just fine for me. I don't think I've replaced one
in several years now that I've gone to them. The Buta-N rings wouldn't
last a month when I tried them.

Wayne, you must think like I do. Do you know what size Viton rings you order?

Not off the top of my head. I use Purox torches and parts are hard
for me to find. Thus I ordered a package of each size from MSC years
ago. With 100 in a pack it's going to be a long time before I need any
more.