Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

Default Using Chop Saw to Cut Firewood

Gentle readers may recall I queried here a while ago about the feasibility
of installing a 14" circular wood saw blade in an abrasive metal chop saw
(to cut up small logs for firewood). I was also considering making a wood
chop saw with a somewhat larger blade and motor.

Anyhow, I finally decided to try the blade in the store-bought chop saw so
purchased a 36 tooth 14" carbide blade with a negative hook angle (this was
recommended to me by the saw store as the negative hook helps prevent
grabbing and blade self feeding). With this setup I can cut a 5 1/2" log in
one pass. I was concerned none-the-less that the chop saw motor would not
be up to the task as I had been advised from several sources that at least 3
HP would be required for a blade of that size. I was however pleasantly
surprised to find it cuts, dry wood at least, effortlessly.

Thought I would pass this on in case anyone else might be interested in this
method (rather than using a chain saw which I was trying to get away from in
the first place).

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Laurie Forbes wrote:

[...]

Wow, maybe I can use a 16" blade to cut 7x9 RR ties with my 16" chop saw ..

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ioan Barladeanu

well, the only negative hook angled blades that I've saw used to cut
wood were used for the same firewood cutting, except that those weren't
carbide plated. With carbide plated blades I've only used positive
hooked ones for wood/chipboard/laminates. However, the negative angle
plated ones are very good at aluminium as well, if they have a big
number of teeth.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

responding to
http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworkin...od-479964-.htm
Hanaba wrote:

Laurie Forbes wrote:

[...]

In my limited experience, dry wood eats up a chain saw chains much faster
than
green wood. I was surprised at how easily we were able to cut dry wood
with a
chop saw with a wood blade. From what I've seen so far, the use of a chop
saw
seems preferable to using a chain saw. I envision using a chop saw for
long
logs, with one person cutting and the other guiding. I am wondering what
you
have learned since March. Any more advice?

OT - metal chop saw for logs? Laurie Forbes Metalworking 7 October 10th 05 05:30 PM
Where are these $30 chop saws??? Ron M. Woodworking 4 December 30th 04 03:35 PM
Cherry Firewood toller Woodworking 2 December 29th 04 03:56 PM
Cutting firewood with a table saw ray Woodworking 37 August 8th 04 08:33 PM
Cutting Aluminum With Chop Saw (?) Dar Shelton Metalworking 8 April 22nd 04 12:19 AM