Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Default Using Chop Saw to Cut Firewood

NOT!!!! RR ties are usually cresoted OAK and tough as the nails left in
them!

Grant Erwin wrote:

Laurie Forbes wrote:

Gentle readers may recall I queried here a while ago about the
feasibility of installing a 14" circular wood saw blade in an abrasive
metal chop saw (to cut up small logs for firewood). I was also
considering making a wood chop saw with a somewhat larger blade and
motor.

Anyhow, I finally decided to try the blade in the store-bought chop
saw so purchased a 36 tooth 14" carbide blade with a negative hook
angle (this was recommended to me by the saw store as the negative
hook helps prevent grabbing and blade self feeding). With this setup
I can cut a 5 1/2" log in one pass. I was concerned none-the-less
that the chop saw motor would not be up to the task as I had been
advised from several sources that at least 3 HP would be required for
a blade of that size. I was however pleasantly surprised to find it
cuts, dry wood at least, effortlessly.

Thought I would pass this on in case anyone else might be interested
in this method (rather than using a chain saw which I was trying to
get away from in the first place).

Laurie Forbes

Wow, maybe I can use a 16" blade to cut 7x9 RR ties with my 16" chop saw ..

GWE