Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg G

Default Interrupted lathe cuts -- Technique?

I'm using manual Sherline lathe and have never been comfortable with turning
down rectangular stock. Now I need to turn to a round 3" of a 2" square
piece of Fortal aluminum. This requires riser blocks all the way around on
the Lathe (to clear the slide but decreasing stiffness) and work holding in
a 3.1" independant 4 jaw chuck with jaws reversed. The grip area for the
chuck in this configuration is quite small which adds to my discomfort (I
will be using a tailstock center). Can someone give me some general or
specific advice on such operations: Is this as hard on the equipment as it
sounds and feels? Best tool to use -- HSS, braised carbide, inserts, normal
rake, etc.? Speed, feed, cut, etc.? General advice or techniques?

Thanks in advance.

Greg