Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default Interrupted lathe cuts -- Technique?

Greg G wrote:

I'm using manual Sherline lathe and have never been comfortable with turning
down rectangular stock. Now I need to turn to a round 3" of a 2" square
piece of Fortal aluminum. This requires riser blocks all the way around on
the Lathe (to clear the slide but decreasing stiffness) and work holding in
a 3.1" independant 4 jaw chuck with jaws reversed. The grip area for the
chuck in this configuration is quite small which adds to my discomfort (I
will be using a tailstock center). Can someone give me some general or
specific advice on such operations: Is this as hard on the equipment as it
sounds and feels? Best tool to use -- HSS, braised carbide, inserts, normal
rake, etc.? Speed, feed, cut, etc.? General advice or techniques?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Bandsaw away most of the waste to start with, maybe you won't need risers ..

GWE