Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
johnj

Default Copper and Zinc Spheres

Does anyone know where I could purchase a copper and zinx sphere
(preferably hollow), about the size of tennis balls? Size isn't
critical.

Thanks!

John Jenkins
www.sparkmuseum.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Zinc is gonna be a problem- not much of anything is made in real zinc
anymore, and even sheet zinc is very hard to find.
But copper, and a variety of other metals, are available from Wagner-
http://www.jgbraun.com/pages/Jgbraun.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

In article .com,
says...
Zinc is gonna be a problem- not much of anything is made in real zinc
anymore, and even sheet zinc is very hard to find.
But copper, and a variety of other metals, are available from Wagner-
http://www.jgbraun.com/pages/Jgbraun.html

Or copper floats. See McMaster page 427. I agree, zinc's gonna be tough,
but it is easy to cast yourself and not very expensive if a solid sphere
is OK.

Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
johnj

Thanks - Solid will work, mostly just trying to save cost on all of
that copper - but a hollow copper sphere and a solid zinc sphere would
be fine. I don't have casting ability here.. anybody want to make a
few $$

John Jenkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom

wrote:

Zinc is gonna be a problem- not much of anything is made in real zinc
anymore,...

Really? I wonder what they're using for zinc plating anodes these days?

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eide

They make zincs of all shapes for use in marine environments. Try West
Marine or Jamestown Distributors for a start. There might be some mounting
holes, but there are also "fish" that just hang in the water.

Eide

"johnj" wrote in message
ps.com...
Does anyone know where I could purchase a copper and zinx sphere
(preferably hollow), about the size of tennis balls? Size isn't
critical.

Thanks!

John Jenkins
www.sparkmuseum.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

http://www.surfacingsolution.com/TinCeilings.htm

There is a Tin industry.

Yes Tin isn't as common as copper or steel. But Tin is used in many products.
Tin is used in alloys of metals. Tin-lead is only one.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

I merely meant that zinc is not commonly available in sheet, round bar,
or flat bar, much less angles, square tubes, pipes, and the like. Much
less premade hollow zinc spheres.
Its an oddball metal, and is used for a few things.
I am sure you can buy zinc anodes, both for plating and for boats.
I am sure there are a few other industrial products made of solid zinc.

But today, it is rarely used for roofing anymore, and its major use is
in galvanizing and vitamins.

But if anyone knows a full line supplier of zinc sheets and profiles, I
would love to hear of it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff R

"johnj" wrote in message
ps.com...
Does anyone know where I could purchase a copper and zinx sphere
(preferably hollow), about the size of tennis balls? Size isn't
critical.

Thanks!

John Jenkins
www.sparkmuseum.com

Off-topic to your request (sorry) but:

Man-alive! What a magnificent collection!
I dips me lid to you, sir.

--
Jeff R.
(whose gabber is still flastered)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On 5 Mar 2006 13:59:06 -0800, wrote:

Zinc is gonna be a problem- not much of anything is made in real zinc
anymore, and even sheet zinc is very hard to find.
But copper, and a variety of other metals, are available from Wagner-
http://www.jgbraun.com/pages/Jgbraun.html

Zinc is still an important metal. The amount of zinc produced and used
annually is behind only steel, copper and aluminum. About 75% of
it is used in galvanizing, but zinc alloys (Zamac) are still used in
some die casting. Zamac is readily available in billet form. Plenty
of die-cast zinc (alloy) objects can still be found in junkyards.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On 5 Mar 2006 13:36:28 -0800, "johnj" wrote:

Does anyone know where I could purchase a copper and zinx sphere

www.sparkmuseum.com

Copper sphere? Sparkmuseum ?

Get something spherical and plastic / glass, then electroplate it. if
you need it for what I expect, then you don't need much wall thickness.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Zinc sheet at least seems to be readily available in the UK and is used
for roofing, bar tops are trendy at the moment and masons use it for
templates. The local engineering suppliers have it in .3mm thick and
about 3' wide. It is not pure but apparently zinc with titanium and
copper. Its fairly soft and would probably spin easily.

johnj wrote:

Does anyone know where I could purchase a copper and zinx sphere
(preferably hollow), about the size of tennis balls? Size isn't
critical.

Thanks!

John Jenkins
www.sparkmuseum.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

Check with people who make those balls that top flagpoles. One episode
of This Old House had Norm at a place that makes those

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Vorwerk

It was New Yankee Workshop.
Karl

"daniel peterman" wrote in message
Check with people who make those balls that top flagpoles. One episode
of This Old House had Norm at a place that makes those

Till the Next Time