Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
For example: John Smith

Default inside of steel tubing...

what can I do to the inside of square or rectangular steel tubing so that
over time it will not rust from the inside out? I am thinking of making a
6x10 utility trailer with a boxed frame for extra strength and I live on the
Gulf Coast of Central Florida where the air is salty and humid and I plan on
having the trailer for a long time. The process would have to be done before
welding so whatever the process is, it must stand up to the heat from
welding. Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom

For example: John Smith wrote:

what can I do to the inside of square or rectangular steel tubing so that
over time it will not rust from the inside out? I am thinking of making a
6x10 utility trailer with a boxed frame for extra strength and I live on the
Gulf Coast of Central Florida where the air is salty and humid and I plan on
having the trailer for a long time. The process would have to be done before
welding so whatever the process is, it must stand up to the heat from
welding. Thanks in advance.

What about getting the trailer gavanised after you build it?

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 01:25:07 GMT, "For example: John Smith"
wrote:

what can I do to the inside of square or rectangular steel tubing so that
over time it will not rust from the inside out? I am thinking of making a
6x10 utility trailer with a boxed frame for extra strength and I live on the
Gulf Coast of Central Florida where the air is salty and humid and I plan on
having the trailer for a long time. The process would have to be done before
welding so whatever the process is, it must stand up to the heat from
welding. Thanks in advance.

Weld the whole frame up, then drill and tap a hole in the frame to
pour "lion oil" or linseed oil in. These oils "dry" by oxidation and
use up the oxygen in the frame. You rotate the frame several times to
get the entire inerior coated. Lion Oil is available from Aircraft
Spruce and other aircraft suppliers. Used to keep aircraft framing
from corroding. Of coarse, all welds need to be complete and tite for
this to work. Minor pinholes will seal up as the oil "dries".

Or just get some underspray oil like "rusty jones" or "Rust Chek" and
do the same thing. Doesn't "dry" though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
For example: John Smith

I am going to box the frame so there will be no access to the inside of the
steel, also I would like to powder coat instead of paint or galvanized.

"Tom" wrote in message
For example: John Smith wrote:

what can I do to the inside of square or rectangular steel tubing so

that
over time it will not rust from the inside out? I am thinking of making

6x10 utility trailer with a boxed frame for extra strength and I live on

the
Gulf Coast of Central Florida where the air is salty and humid and I

plan on
having the trailer for a long time. The process would have to be done

before
welding so whatever the process is, it must stand up to the heat from
welding. Thanks in advance.

What about getting the trailer gavanised after you build it?

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W.

"For example: John Smith" wrote in message
. ..
what can I do to the inside of square or rectangular steel tubing so that
over time it will not rust from the inside out? I am thinking of making a
6x10 utility trailer with a boxed frame for extra strength and I live on

the
Gulf Coast of Central Florida where the air is salty and humid and I plan

on
having the trailer for a long time. The process would have to be done

before
welding so whatever the process is, it must stand up to the heat from
welding. Thanks in advance.

Seal weld the tube so nothing can get in. Then you only have to worry about
the outside of the tube.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
For example: John Smith

Can I do this pre-welding? It would be alot easier to do what you are saying
to the indvidual pieces rather than me trying to rotate the whole frame.
Thanks again.

wrote:

[...]

*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from

http://www.SecureIX.com ***

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 02:38:36 GMT, "For example: John Smith"
wrote:

Can I do this pre-welding? It would be alot easier to do what you are saying
to the indvidual pieces rather than me trying to rotate the whole frame.
Thanks again.

Sure you can, if you want a huge smoke-bomb and lots of contaminated
welds. You NEED to weld it first, and drill side-rails where
cross-tubes fit so oil can run from tube to tube to fill/coat the
entire frame.

Or just get some underspray oil like "rusty jones" or "Rust Chek" and
do the same thing. Doesn't "dry" though.
*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from

http://www.SecureIX.com ***

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul

John,
I built boat trailers in Fla. and trust me galvinized is the only way
to go, we tried some in aluminum, but even that in time will break down
from the salt. not to mention they turned out to be to light, and we
often had problems with them floating... not bad for launching but a
pain in the butt for loading. Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

wrote:

what can I do to the inside of square or rectangular steel tubing so that
over time it will not rust from the inside out? I am thinking of making a
6x10 utility trailer with a boxed frame for extra strength and I live on the
Gulf Coast of Central Florida where the air is salty and humid and I plan on
having the trailer for a long time. The process would have to be done before
welding so whatever the process is, it must stand up to the heat from
welding. Thanks in advance.

=========================
common problem in tubular air craft frames
see
http://mylist.net/archives/corvaircr...04/005399.html
http://www.matronics.com/archive/arc....digest.vol-du
and talk to some homebuilders

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul in Redland

Don't build it out of tube, use channel instead. There will be no inside to
worry about. Then galvanize it, or keep paint on it. For a small trailer
like you plan, channel is the way to go, IMHO.

"For example: John Smith" wrote in message
. ..
what can I do to the inside of square or rectangular steel tubing so that
over time it will not rust from the inside out? I am thinking of making a
6x10 utility trailer with a boxed frame for extra strength and I live on
the
Gulf Coast of Central Florida where the air is salty and humid and I plan
on
having the trailer for a long time. The process would have to be done
before
welding so whatever the process is, it must stand up to the heat from
welding. Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mawdeeb

"Tom" wrote in message

For example: John Smith wrote:

what can I do to the inside of square or rectangular steel tubing so

that
over time it will not rust from the inside out? I am thinking of making

6x10 utility trailer with a boxed frame for extra strength and I live on

the
Gulf Coast of Central Florida where the air is salty and humid and I

plan on
having the trailer for a long time. The process would have to be done

before
welding so whatever the process is, it must stand up to the heat from
welding. Thanks in advance.

What about getting the trailer gavanised after you build it?

Tom

John, you might want to check around on powder coating prices. To do a
item that size will be expensive to do it with the proper powder than
cooked in the oven to cure. The rising price of propane and natural gas
has caused a jump in curing costs for the larger operations with a oven
big enough to do your project.

If you must use tubing, think about drilling and tapping plugs in the
steel. When complete, have a under coating operation use their long
injectors and spray the goo into your chassis and plug it when done.

I would follow the advise of the other posters and change your design to
use angle and c-channel. Prime and paint with POR-15 if you want it to
last a life time. My trailer is c-channel and angle with a flat steel
deck. It was old when I got it and I put another 8 years on it and going
strong.

Good Luck

Jim Vrzal
Holiday, Fl.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
R. Zimmerman

Either weld up all the tubes so that they are air tight or galvanize. If
you galvanize you must create drain holes everywhere. A sealed tube section
can explode when immersed in the molten zinc.
Google on galvanizing. Several galvanizing firms and the galvanizing
association have guidelines on location and size of drain holes. Properly
done it will be good for 50 to 100 years.
Randy

"For example: John Smith" wrote in message
. ..
what can I do to the inside of square or rectangular steel tubing so that
over time it will not rust from the inside out? I am thinking of making a
6x10 utility trailer with a boxed frame for extra strength and I live on the
Gulf Coast of Central Florida where the air is salty and humid and I plan on
having the trailer for a long time. The process would have to be done before
welding so whatever the process is, it must stand up to the heat from
welding. Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

And do it in a dry nitrogen or argon environment so you don't trap
moisture inside when you seal it. Hold your breath while you're
welding.

Richard W. wrote:

Seal weld the tube so nothing can get in. Then you only have to worry about
the outside of the tube.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"For example: John Smith" wrote in message
. ..
what can I do to the inside of square or rectangular steel tubing so that
over time it will not rust from the inside out? I am thinking of making a
6x10 utility trailer with a boxed frame for extra strength and I live on

the
Gulf Coast of Central Florida where the air is salty and humid and I plan

on
having the trailer for a long time. The process would have to be done

before
welding so whatever the process is, it must stand up to the heat from
welding. Thanks in advance.

How good of a welder are you? You could always weld it up, and draw a vacuum
on the inside.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Wiley

In article ibGNf.831332$xm3.86838@attbi_s21, Dave Lyon
wrote:

"For example: John Smith" wrote in message
. ..
what can I do to the inside of square or rectangular steel tubing so that
over time it will not rust from the inside out? I am thinking of making a
6x10 utility trailer with a boxed frame for extra strength and I live on

the
Gulf Coast of Central Florida where the air is salty and humid and I plan

on
having the trailer for a long time. The process would have to be done

before
welding so whatever the process is, it must stand up to the heat from
welding. Thanks in advance.

How good of a welder are you? You could always weld it up, and draw a vacuum
on the inside.

Guys, guys, guys. Rusting is a chemical process that requires free
oxygen. If he welds this thing up so there is no holes, whatever small
amount of oxygen will cause an equally small amount of internal rust,
and then there'll be no more internal rusting.

It's not a continuous catalytic reaction.

That said, I agree with the suggestion to use channel. Plenty strong
enough, good access and no need to be concerned with airtight welds,
not that they're hard to achieve.

PDW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

And to add to the fray - just put a sheet of news paper inside - when the
welding gets going - it will catch on fire and burn the oxygen then go out.
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

wrote:

"For example: John Smith" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik

In article ,
"For example: John Smith" wrote:

what can I do to the inside of square or rectangular steel tubing so that
over time it will not rust from the inside out? I am thinking of making a
6x10 utility trailer with a boxed frame for extra strength and I live on the
Gulf Coast of Central Florida where the air is salty and humid and I plan on
having the trailer for a long time. The process would have to be done before
welding so whatever the process is, it must stand up to the heat from
welding. Thanks in advance.

If I recall correctly, with aircraft stuff... engine mounts, fuselage
and other welded up stuff made out of tubing, they drill a couple of
holes, and partially fill the tubing with warm Linseed oil. Rotate and
slosh to get complete coverage and allow to gravity drain for a while,
then plug the holes with drive screws.

At least I think it was Linseed oil...

A lot of that stuff has been flying for decades now, even off of salt
water.

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin

I would think that you could just weld up the ends to make the tubing
totally enclosed. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the insides.
The only oxygen available for rust formation would be what you trapped
inside, and that's probably not enough to make a gram of oxides.

best regards,

Martin