Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default inside of steel tubing...

And to add to the fray - just put a sheet of news paper inside - when the
welding gets going - it will catch on fire and burn the oxygen then go out.
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Peter Wiley wrote:
In article ibGNf.831332$xm3.86838@attbi_s21, Dave Lyon
wrote:

"For example: John Smith" wrote in message
m...

what can I do to the inside of square or rectangular steel tubing so that
over time it will not rust from the inside out? I am thinking of making a
6x10 utility trailer with a boxed frame for extra strength and I live on

the

Gulf Coast of Central Florida where the air is salty and humid and I plan

on

having the trailer for a long time. The process would have to be done

before

welding so whatever the process is, it must stand up to the heat from
welding. Thanks in advance.

How good of a welder are you? You could always weld it up, and draw a vacuum
on the inside.

Guys, guys, guys. Rusting is a chemical process that requires free
oxygen. If he welds this thing up so there is no holes, whatever small
amount of oxygen will cause an equally small amount of internal rust,
and then there'll be no more internal rusting.

It's not a continuous catalytic reaction.

That said, I agree with the suggestion to use channel. Plenty strong
enough, good access and no need to be concerned with airtight welds,
not that they're hard to achieve.

PDW