Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Max Krippler

Default Bridgeport has Chrome Ways?

Hi,
I've finally found a really sharp Bridgeport Mill in Los Angeles (it
seems like most of them are in the midwest or back east) and I was
wondering how to tell if it has the "chrome ways" that seemed to be a
desireable option?

This thing comes with so many options (3axis DRO, 3axis powerfeeds,
pneumatic drawbar, Kurt vice, micro-drop lube spray, etc, etc.) that
I'm tempted to get it anyway, but the family selling it didn't know if
Dad bought the "chromed ways" option. How important is it to get the
chrome ways on a Bridgeport? I drove out there to see it and the
machine is absolutely beautiful and has almost zero wear, but if you
guys can educate me about the 'chrome' I would love to hear about it.

Maybe you can tell by seeing the pictures? Here is the eBay ad
listing number: 7590917948

Thanks for any info you can give me...

--Max
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Max Krippler" wrote in message
Hi,
I've finally found a really sharp Bridgeport Mill in Los Angeles (it
seems like most of them are in the midwest or back east) and I was
wondering how to tell if it has the "chrome ways" that seemed to be a
desireable option?

This thing comes with so many options (3axis DRO, 3axis powerfeeds,
pneumatic drawbar, Kurt vice, micro-drop lube spray, etc, etc.) that
I'm tempted to get it anyway, but the family selling it didn't know if
Dad bought the "chromed ways" option. How important is it to get the
chrome ways on a Bridgeport? I drove out there to see it and the
machine is absolutely beautiful and has almost zero wear, but if you
guys can educate me about the 'chrome' I would love to hear about it.

Chrome ways are nice to prolong the useful life of a mill, but hardly a
necessity-----

Maybe you can tell by seeing the pictures? Here is the eBay ad
listing number: 7590917948

The ways are chromed----which is obvious from the picture where you can see
the ways and adjacent surfaces. Notice that the ways are a bright white
color, whereas the other areas are a dull gray-the color of cast iron.

Without going into too much detail-----I strongly suggest you buy that mill
if possible. It's unlikely you'll ever find another that comes close.
It would be a decent buy @ $6,000------assuming you want to own a manual
mill.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Max Krippler wrote:
[...]

Very pretty. Looks like chrome to me too. In the early '60s when I
first saw new Bridgeports it was simple to tell if the ways were
chromed; there was a little plate on the front left of the knee
announcing it.

For home use I doubt if the chrome will make a big difference. But in
very busy shops it's probably the only way to go. Then there's the
brag factor. And by the way, not only does the present scrapping
pattern look great, it helps protect your machine as well.

dennis
in nca

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

[...]

Wow! He's willing to ship to the rest of the world. ("ships to: N. and S.
America, Europe, Asia, Australia") I wonder if that was an oversight. Nice
looking package though.

JB