Erik

Default Lettermans 'Will It Explode'

Letterman ran a new (to me anyway) gag tonight called 'will it
explode'... I missed the first part, but think it was one of those deals
where Dave and Paul try to predict if some object/s will explode when
dumped off the roof of his building in New York.

Tonight was a bunch of fire extingushers... I saw it from across the
room, but think they all stayed intact. Then later, going to commercial,
they had a camera outside looking around at them.

After reading the account here of the gentleman and his wife having one
come unglued, it scared the hell out of me just to watch it...

Just my .02 cents worth...

Erik
Old Nick

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:27:10 GMT, Erik vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Letterman ran a new (to me anyway) gag tonight called 'will it
explode'...

Letterman bomb?
************************************************** ** sorry

Spike....Spike? Hello?
Gary Coffman

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:27:10 GMT, Erik wrote:
Letterman ran a new (to me anyway) gag tonight called 'will it
explode'... I missed the first part, but think it was one of those deals
where Dave and Paul try to predict if some object/s will explode when
dumped off the roof of his building in New York.

He's been doing this gag for a *long* time. Back when he was second
banana on NBC following Carson, he found the best thing to drop. That
was a sack of flour with a burning streamer attached. Big dust explosion,
mushroom cloud.

Gary
Peter T. Keillor III

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:22:42 -0500, Gary Coffman
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:27:10 GMT, Erik wrote:
Letterman ran a new (to me anyway) gag tonight called 'will it
explode'... I missed the first part, but think it was one of those deals
where Dave and Paul try to predict if some object/s will explode when
dumped off the roof of his building in New York.

He's been doing this gag for a *long* time. Back when he was second
banana on NBC following Carson, he found the best thing to drop. That
was a sack of flour with a burning streamer attached. Big dust explosion,
mushroom cloud.

Gary

My dad told me about a commander he had on Guadalcanal while flying
P-39's. I seem to recall the word "idiot". The commander wanted them
to practice bombing using the inane procedure of chunking little
colored sacks of flour out of the windows of the P-39 at targets
painted on roofs around Henderson (the P-39 had roll down windows to
go with the car doors). Dad sailed a sack at the target on top the
dispensary, and instead sent it through the screen door as someone
came out. Poof! That ended the experiment.

Pete Keillor
Jon Elson

Gary Coffman wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:27:10 GMT, Erik wrote:

Letterman ran a new (to me anyway) gag tonight called 'will it
explode'... I missed the first part, but think it was one of those deals
where Dave and Paul try to predict if some object/s will explode when
dumped off the roof of his building in New York.

He's been doing this gag for a *long* time. Back when he was second
banana on NBC following Carson, he found the best thing to drop. That
was a sack of flour with a burning streamer attached. Big dust explosion,
mushroom cloud.

Probably homeland security won't let him show any of the ones where
it goes boom anymore!

Jon

Leo Lichtman

Larry Kraus wrote: (clip) Internal gases built up and the whale exploded,
sending guts and blubber flying onto pedestrians, sidewalks and shop fronts
^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't remember where this happened, but a couple of months back, on the
news, there was a report about a beached whale. Some *brilliant* person
decided to blow it up, instead of moving it away, with similar results.

Shiver Me Timbers

Leo Lichtman wrote:

I don't remember where this happened, but a couple of months back, on the
news, there was a report about a beached whale. Some *brilliant* person
decided to blow it up, instead of moving it away, with similar results.

Actually it was some years ago and to save money the local authorities
decided to use about 500 lb of explosives in the hope that by blowing
it up into small hunks that it would wash out to sea and nature would
take it's course.

Instead there was flying blubber everywhere including a large chunk
that fell on some guys car about a quarter mile away and totalled it.

There's an MPEG floating around the web that shows it including the
announcer's reaction when the video crew started to get pummeled by
dropping whale parts.
larry g

The said incident happened on the Oregon coast. It gets shown on the
Portland news right along when they are doing retrospectives in the news
channel. I believe that the state parks dept came up with the idea.
lg
no neat sig line

"Shiver Me Timbers" wrote in message
Leo Lichtman wrote:

I don't remember where this happened, but a couple of months back, on

the
news, there was a report about a beached whale. Some *brilliant*

person
decided to blow it up, instead of moving it away, with similar results.

Actually it was some years ago and to save money the local authorities
decided to use about 500 lb of explosives in the hope that by blowing
it up into small hunks that it would wash out to sea and nature would
take it's course.

Instead there was flying blubber everywhere including a large chunk
that fell on some guys car about a quarter mile away and totalled it.

There's an MPEG floating around the web that shows it including the
announcer's reaction when the video crew started to get pummeled by
dropping whale parts.

larry g

Sorry for the second post, but did a search on 'blowing up whale Oregon" and
lots of hits came back. The event was in 1970 and it was the hiway dept and
not the parks dept that did the deed.
Leo Lichtman wrote:

I don't remember where this happened, but a couple of months back, on

the
news, there was a report about a beached whale. Some *brilliant*

person
decided to blow it up, instead of moving it away, with similar results.

Actually it was some years ago and to save money the local authorities
decided to use about 500 lb of explosives in the hope that by blowing
it up into small hunks that it would wash out to sea and nature would
take it's course.

Instead there was flying blubber everywhere including a large chunk
that fell on some guys car about a quarter mile away and totalled it.

There's an MPEG floating around the web that shows it including the
announcer's reaction when the video crew started to get pummeled by
dropping whale parts.

Udie

During WW2, a new, flower class Corvette, that had just been commissioned,
was sent out to Cape Flattery. There had been a report of a Japanese
submarine in the area. The Asdic detected a "submarine", and the Corvette
laid down a full pattern of hedgehog, and depth charges. A large whale was
blown to pieces, and the ship was covered with blood, guts, and blubber.
When it returned to Victoria, the ship went straight to the shipyard.
Everyone was pulled from other jobs, including my father. It took two days
to clean the ship! When it was done, my father took his work clothes out,
and burned them. The stench was unbelievable! Some of the bone was salvaged,
buried on a nearby beach, until the crabs had done their work. It was then
cut up, and passed out to anyone that wanted it for knife handles, etc. I
still have a piece.

Steve R.