Udie

Default Lettermans 'Will It Explode'

During WW2, a new, flower class Corvette, that had just been commissioned,
was sent out to Cape Flattery. There had been a report of a Japanese
submarine in the area. The Asdic detected a "submarine", and the Corvette
laid down a full pattern of hedgehog, and depth charges. A large whale was
blown to pieces, and the ship was covered with blood, guts, and blubber.
When it returned to Victoria, the ship went straight to the shipyard.
Everyone was pulled from other jobs, including my father. It took two days
to clean the ship! When it was done, my father took his work clothes out,
and burned them. The stench was unbelievable! Some of the bone was salvaged,
buried on a nearby beach, until the crabs had done their work. It was then
cut up, and passed out to anyone that wanted it for knife handles, etc. I
still have a piece.

Steve R.