Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default LH internal Threads

Chuck rotation CW (facing it).
Tool bit upside down and on the front side of the lathe.
Carriage moving toward tail stock

Or

Chuck rotation CCW
Tool bit upside down and cutting on the back side of the lathe.
Carriage moving toward the chuck.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:34:00 GMT, wrote:

Chuck rotation CW (facing it).
Tool bit upside down and on the front side of the lathe.
Carriage moving toward tail stock

Or

Chuck rotation CCW
Tool bit upside down and cutting on the back side of the lathe.
Carriage moving toward the chuck.

Sigh..thanks. I just came in from the shop, and had stood there for
about 30 seconds when the light bulb came on above my head. I felt
like an utter idiot when I posted this..and a bigger idiot when the
light bulb came on over my head.

Now Ive got to grind an ID tool. That I think I can manage....
I checked my threading tools..nothing for ID..dont know where they
have hidden themselves this time.

Thanks again

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Gunner wrote:
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:34:00 GMT, wrote:

Chuck rotation CW (facing it).
Tool bit upside down and on the front side of the lathe.
Carriage moving toward tail stock

Or

Chuck rotation CCW
Tool bit upside down and cutting on the back side of the lathe.
Carriage moving toward the chuck.

Sigh..thanks. I just came in from the shop, and had stood there for
about 30 seconds when the light bulb came on above my head. I felt
like an utter idiot when I posted this..and a bigger idiot when the
light bulb came on over my head.

Now Ive got to grind an ID tool. That I think I can manage....
I checked my threading tools..nothing for ID..dont know where they
have hidden themselves this time.

Be sure to give yourself plenty of front clearance, ID threads need more of it
than OD threads.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:47:05 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:34:00 GMT, wrote:

Chuck rotation CW (facing it).
Tool bit upside down and on the front side of the lathe.
Carriage moving toward tail stock

Or

Chuck rotation CCW
Tool bit upside down and cutting on the back side of the lathe.
Carriage moving toward the chuck.

Sigh..thanks. I just came in from the shop, and had stood there for
about 30 seconds when the light bulb came on above my head. I felt
like an utter idiot when I posted this..and a bigger idiot when the
light bulb came on over my head.

Now Ive got to grind an ID tool. That I think I can manage....
I checked my threading tools..nothing for ID..dont know where they
have hidden themselves this time.

Thanks again

Gunner

I make 'em by silverbrazing a piece of HSS toolbit on the end of a
boring shank. I do most of the grinding before brazing, just touch
it up after brazing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 06:19:49 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Ayup. Did that. Got the "nut" made already this morning. Now to mount
one of the spare mag chucks on the grinder and see what the surface
finish looks like.

Further metalworking:

Buddy came over yesterday with his brand new Savage FTL 10 rifle and
a brand new aftermarket 6.5x55 barrel. I made him a receiver clamp
out of aluminum bar stock (3" diameter) and we changed the barrels
out. Damn thats easy. (He did buy the proper barrel nut wrench)

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Ayup. Did that. Got the "nut" made already this morning. Now to mount
one of the spare mag chucks on the grinder and see what the surface
finish looks like.

Don't forget to grind in your mag chuck, not if you expect it to be true ..

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:04:19 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Ayup. Did that. Got the "nut" made already this morning. Now to mount
one of the spare mag chucks on the grinder and see what the surface
finish looks like.

Don't forget to grind in your mag chuck, not if you expect it to be true ..

GWE

But of course. Magic marker on the top. Though i did use Dykem on the
big 618 I have

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3