Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill

Default RPC and electric motor gurus

Ive got a southbend Fourteen lathe. It has the variable speed pulleys
that go to a two speed transmission.

It has a 200 volt 3phase baldor motor. Baldor say that it is rated
for +- 10% on voltage.

I am using a 5 hp idler with no caps running off of 220

If I try to start the motor in high the motor starter on the lathe
chatters before it finally stays engaged. Low speed starts fine.

But the motor gets hot after about 10 minutes of running( you cane
keep your hand on it for about 10 seconds before it gets
uncomfortable)

any recommendations of what I should do.

Thanks
Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
oldjag

Probably should not try and start anything much over 2hp with a 5hp
idler. Assuming this is not a purpose made phase converter idler
motor, you really need to check the phase currents and adjust them with
running caps. Also, make sure the power for the lathe motor control
contactor is not on the developed phase. I built a 15hp converter two
years ago and it's been working nicely, but it uses running caps to
balance the phase current.
Bill wrote:
Ive got a southbend Fourteen lathe. It has the variable speed pulleys
that go to a two speed transmission.

It has a 200 volt 3phase baldor motor. Baldor say that it is rated
for +- 10% on voltage.

I am using a 5 hp idler with no caps running off of 220

If I try to start the motor in high the motor starter on the lathe
chatters before it finally stays engaged. Low speed starts fine.

But the motor gets hot after about 10 minutes of running( you cane
keep your hand on it for about 10 seconds before it gets
uncomfortable)

any recommendations of what I should do.

Thanks
Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill

On 13 Feb 2006 02:24:35 GMT, Ignoramus8228
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:18:07 -0600, Bill wbbright@amaonlinecom wrote:

Ive got a southbend Fourteen lathe. It has the variable speed pulleys
that go to a two speed transmission.

It has a 200 volt 3phase baldor motor. Baldor say that it is rated
for +- 10% on voltage.

I am using a 5 hp idler with no caps running off of 220

If I try to start the motor in high the motor starter on the lathe
chatters before it finally stays engaged. Low speed starts fine.

Aside from everything, make sure that your starter (contactor) runs
off the utility legs, sounds like it runs off leg3.

Iggy .... that was it. leg 3 was wired in to the contactor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill

wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:18:07 -0600, Bill wbbright@amaonlinecom wrote:

Ive got a southbend Fourteen lathe. It has the variable speed pulleys
that go to a two speed transmission.

It has a 200 volt 3phase baldor motor. Baldor say that it is rated
for +- 10% on voltage.

I am using a 5 hp idler with no caps running off of 220

If I try to start the motor in high the motor starter on the lathe
chatters before it finally stays engaged. Low speed starts fine.

Aside from everything, make sure that your starter (contactor) runs
off the utility legs, sounds like it runs off leg3.

Iggy .... that was it. leg 3 was wired in to the contactor

cool... what are you going to do with 200v issue? Does the motor
perhaps have a standard NEMA frame?

Baldor says its good for +- 10% so that says 180-220v . so I am at the
high end. I will run it for awhile and see what it does. It is a
standard frame.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill

wrote:

[...]

If it is a standard frame, you have freedom to do whatever you want,
replacement 3 phase motors are dirt cheap...

Another question.

will two 5 horse idlers start a 7.5horse?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

I have a "5" hp RPC - it spins up and drives three transformers. The xformers
are held off until I want the higher voltage three phase. The peak inrush current
is just over 50 amps. Naturally the 50 amp breakers hold up nicely. The transformers
drive 6 three phase motors - 3 at the moment - So far so good.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

wrote:

[...]

In my RPC, one 10 HP motor easily starts a 7.5 HP idler (which is not
loaded with any mechanical load). I had a test RPC at some point with
a 7.5 HP idler, that started a 3 phase 5 HP Atlas Copco compressor.