Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill

Default RPC and electric motor gurus

On 15 Feb 2006 04:59:35 GMT, Ignoramus21707
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:36:46 -0600, Bill wbbright@amaonlinecom wrote:
On 14 Feb 2006 11:53:20 GMT, Ignoramus21707
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 22:08:00 -0600, Bill wbbright@amaonlinecom wrote:
On 13 Feb 2006 02:24:35 GMT, Ignoramus8228
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:18:07 -0600, Bill wbbright@amaonlinecom wrote:

Ive got a southbend Fourteen lathe. It has the variable speed pulleys
that go to a two speed transmission.

It has a 200 volt 3phase baldor motor. Baldor say that it is rated
for +- 10% on voltage.

I am using a 5 hp idler with no caps running off of 220

If I try to start the motor in high the motor starter on the lathe
chatters before it finally stays engaged. Low speed starts fine.

Aside from everything, make sure that your starter (contactor) runs
off the utility legs, sounds like it runs off leg3.

Iggy .... that was it. leg 3 was wired in to the contactor

cool... what are you going to do with 200v issue? Does the motor
perhaps have a standard NEMA frame?

Baldor says its good for +- 10% so that says 180-220v . so I am at the
high end. I will run it for awhile and see what it does. It is a
standard frame.

If it is a standard frame, you have freedom to do whatever you want,
replacement 3 phase motors are dirt cheap...

Another question.

will two 5 horse idlers start a 7.5horse?