Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Default Band Saw Question

I got one of those little HF band saws. I really like it.

Yesterday while changing the blade, I noticed I had it on the highest speed.
On the biggest pulley on the motor, the smallest pulley on the drive box.
It has always worked fine, but I thought high speeds were for wood. I
changed it around to the middle pulley and tried it. It didn't cut as well.
I changed it again to the slowest speed, and the blade chattered and it
would buck a little. I adjusted the tensioner that puts less weight on the
blade. I was afraid of taking some teeth off the new blade, and so put it
back the same as I had it to start. It works fine now.

What's pulleys is it supposed to be on for square tubing?

Or just what works best.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Steve B wrote:

I got one of those little HF band saws. I really like it.

Yesterday while changing the blade, I noticed I had it on the highest speed.
On the biggest pulley on the motor, the smallest pulley on the drive box.
It has always worked fine, but I thought high speeds were for wood. I
changed it around to the middle pulley and tried it. It didn't cut as well.
I changed it again to the slowest speed, and the blade chattered and it
would buck a little. I adjusted the tensioner that puts less weight on the
blade. I was afraid of taking some teeth off the new blade, and so put it
back the same as I had it to start. It works fine now.

What's pulleys is it supposed to be on for square tubing?

Or just what works best.

All 3 speeds on the 4x6 saws are metal cutting speeds. The speed you want
depends on your blades (HSS teeth, carbide teeth, or carbon steel teeth?) and
the material (steel? aluminum? plastic?). It doesn't depend on the part
topology. The part topology comes into play when you're deciding how many teeth
per inch on the blade to buy. The rule is at least 3 teeth in the cut at all
times, so if your square tubing is .125 wall you'd ideally want 24tpi blade. In
reality you can lower the feed (tighten the spring) and use a 14tpi blade gently
on thinner stock.

Have a look at http://www.tinyisland.com/4x6bsFAQ.html, it's written for guys
like you.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) The rule is at least 3 teeth in the cut at all
times, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think Grant's comments are on point. Since you didn't say what tooth
pitch you were using, nor the thickness of material you were cutting, we
can't be sure. I think this may be what's going on: If you have fewer than
three teeth in the cut at all times, as the blade runs slower, it has more
time to settle during the time after the leading tooth comes out of contact.
This creates a harder bump as the next tooth enters the cut.

Running the blade at too high a speed can shorten its life. I suggest
trying a cut in some thick material at low speed, to see whether this is
really it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

My 4 X 6 has been on the highest speed ever since I got it 20 years ago.
I use real good Do-all blades and they last a long time. I use 10
tooth blades almost exclusively. I bought some 18T blades once and sent
them back since they clog a lot.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------

Steve B wrote:

I got one of those little HF band saws. I really like it.

Yesterday while changing the blade, I noticed I had it on the highest speed.
On the biggest pulley on the motor, the smallest pulley on the drive box.
It has always worked fine, but I thought high speeds were for wood. I
changed it around to the middle pulley and tried it. It didn't cut as well.
I changed it again to the slowest speed, and the blade chattered and it
would buck a little. I adjusted the tensioner that puts less weight on the
blade. I was afraid of taking some teeth off the new blade, and so put it
back the same as I had it to start. It works fine now.

What's pulleys is it supposed to be on for square tubing?

Or just what works best.

Steve

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM