Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
megoodsen

Default interference fit on small brass parts

Hi,

I'm drawing up some small parts that need to be cold press fit
together.

They are made from brass, and the basic diameter of the two faces being
pressed together is 7mm (0.275"), mating face length (depth of mate) is
5mm (0.2").
I need to press the parts together when both cold, and I need them to
be securely mated.
Afterwards they are to be either gold or silver plated.
There isn't a great deal of force being applied to them afterwards, but
what force there will be will be in extraction direction. I would guess
maximum extraction force to be 3 or 4 pounds.

Can someone advise me the amount the rod (actually thick walled
tube-all relatively speaking of course) needs to be oversize to be the
right fit into the hole.

I need electrical contact too, so I won't want to be using any
compounds.

Is there a reference website that I could extract this information from
in future, so save this post occuring all the time. (I already found
loads of similar posts, but none like my application).

thanks