Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Shoppa

Default interference fit on small brass parts

megoodsen wrote:
I'm drawing up some small parts that need to be cold press fit
together.

They are made from brass, and the basic diameter of the two faces being
pressed together is 7mm (0.275"), mating face length (depth of mate) is
5mm (0.2").
I need to press the parts together when both cold, and I need them to
be securely mated.
[...]
I need electrical contact too, so I won't want to be using any
compounds.

If the parts really are that small, and really do have to stay
together, and they really do have to be electrically connected, what's
wrong with solder? (Uprate to silver solder or brazing if necessary,
but I doubt it will be.)

If these are the mating surfaces of much larger parts then soldering
can get to be awkward sometimes (although not necessarily, jewelers
know lots of tricks!)

Tim.