Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default What oil for vacuum pump

According to Ignoramus19736 :
I am getting a vacuum pump like this

http://www.amresupply.com/viewpart.p...mEnc=RFYxNDI=&

it requires oil. Where should I look for such oil, practically
speaking. Would "compressor oil" be adequate?

I don't believe so. Vacuum pump oil needs to have very low
volatiles so it doesn't boil or otherwise outgas at the very low
pressures which the pump can achieve.

Proper vacuum pump oil is quite expensive, and you get it from
specialty houses like Cenco that sell to labs.

BTW A crimper which is right for your un-insulated terminals has
shown up on eBay. Check out auction number: 7586741978

22 hours to go.

Not as nice as the hydraulic crimper for the pre-insulated
terminals, but this one will handle sizes from #8 through 4/0,
all with what you see there. No need to get other dies, they
are all in the head, and selected by pulling a pin and rotating
the dies.

And no -- I don't have one of these. I tend to prefer the
pre-insulated terminals.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 03:26:45 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Ignoramus19736 :
I am getting a vacuum pump like this

[ ... ]

it requires oil. Where should I look for such oil, practically
speaking. Would "compressor oil" be adequate?

[ ... ]

Thanks. Looks like McMaster has it. See item 1385K22, $23.57.

Good news.

BTW A crimper which is right for your un-insulated terminals has
shown up on eBay. Check out auction number: 7586741978

22 hours to go.

Not as nice as the hydraulic crimper for the pre-insulated
terminals, but this one will handle sizes from #8 through 4/0,
all with what you see there. No need to get other dies, they
are all in the head, and selected by pulling a pin and rotating
the dies.

As for this one, would it not also handle insulated terminals just as
well?

No -- the shape of the crimp is quite different, and the sizing
is wrong for insulated terminals. I think that the shape of these dies
would tear the plastic insulation on the pre-insulated one..

And no -- I don't have one of these. I tend to prefer the
pre-insulated terminals.

Same here, although for bigger sizes, heat shrink tubing is also quite
helpful. I do not think that I have yet reached the zen of crimping.

You need to collect more tools and terminal styles to do that. :-)

I've been collecting crimpers and terminals since about 1966, I
think.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564