Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chris

Default Metal Stand

I was thinking of building my own aquarium stand, using 1.25" square
tube .110 wall thickness

I would do a top / bottom complete frame which would be supported by 6
legs, 2 on each end 2 in the center, plus angled pieces on the top
corners as well as back / front supports....

Anyone have any idea what kind of weight this would support? final size
would be 85 1/4"l x 24"w x 32"h

From what i have seen most of these stands are just made with 1 1/4"
..100 angles.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

A tank 85 x24 x 24 high will weigh 1800 pounds full of water, 2400 if
you make the tank 32" high. The 1-1/4 square will easily handle the
weight on 6 legs. Compression load on a short chunk of the tube is
around 25000 pounds. The issue is how to brace it so it doesn't collapse
sideways or to the front. Full diagonals would be perfect, less should
work if your welds are great. You also have to deal with weld warpage,
uneven floor, and the ability of the tank to flex to meet the frame.

Chris wrote:
I was thinking of building my own aquarium stand, using 1.25" square
tube .110 wall thickness

I would do a top / bottom complete frame which would be supported by 6
legs, 2 on each end 2 in the center, plus angled pieces on the top
corners as well as back / front supports....

Anyone have any idea what kind of weight this would support? final size
would be 85 1/4"l x 24"w x 32"h

From what i have seen most of these stands are just made with 1 1/4"
.100 angles.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³

"Chris" wrote in message
I was thinking of building my own aquarium stand, using 1.25" square tube
.110 wall thickness

I would do a top / bottom complete frame which would be supported by 6
legs, 2 on each end 2 in the center, plus angled pieces on the top corners
as well as back / front supports....

Anyone have any idea what kind of weight this would support? final size
would be 85 1/4"l x 24"w x 32"h

From what i have seen most of these stands are just made with 1 1/4" .100
angles.

Thanks

I'd suggest using more leg sets since, if your tank's top would be at ~ 6'
off the floor, the filled tank would be 2,700+ lbs.

By using leg pairs 2' from each end you'd spread out the weight better and
provide anchor points for shelving.

Here's hoping that your floor will stand the weight!

Ground Rod For House ? Robert11 Home Repair 28 January 3rd 06 10:25 PM
Getting started in metal crafts? KLS Metalworking 7 February 14th 05 01:47 PM
Attaching wooden lats to a metal balcony rail Andy Woodworking 1 February 2nd 05 11:45 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
stand for Nova DVR william kossack Woodturning 12 February 8th 04 11:55 AM