Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Grip 1/4" metal pipe without marring?

Hi,
Anyone have a good method to grip metal pipe without marring?
I'm looking for a DIY method, hopefully with basic tools.
It's 1/4" zinc plated pipe and I have another 1/4" pipe with a smooth
finish(i think it's stainless). Both pipes have 1/4" MPTs and I'm
trying to fit some female fittings on the ends.

Also, if there is some special tool(reasonably priced I hope) that
would make thinks much easier, let me know. What do the pros use?

Thanks!

-joe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG

The tool you are looking for is a strap wrench. Here is a photo:
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Strap-Wrench/index.htm

There are surely Chiwanese cheapies available, but you do get what
you pay for. Some of the commercial flush valves come with a
plastic and rubber strap version that I'm sure any plumber would
give you. You can probably improvise with a vise grip and old
inner tube.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
Anyone have a good method to grip metal pipe without marring?
I'm looking for a DIY method, hopefully with basic tools.
It's 1/4" zinc plated pipe and I have another 1/4" pipe with a
smooth
finish(i think it's stainless). Both pipes have 1/4" MPTs and
I'm
trying to fit some female fittings on the ends.

Also, if there is some special tool(reasonably priced I hope)
that
would make thinks much easier, let me know. What do the pros
use?

Thanks!

-joe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Strap wrenches. Its pretty well the standard wrench when you don;t
want to mar the finish. You can also perhps use an old fan belt, as a
make shift vise or wrench. Lay belt over pipe, bring one end around
and up and through the opposite portion of the belts loop and snug or
clamp firmly in a vise. Use same method on fitting or othe rpiece of
pipe and use a piece of wood to put in the tag end loop and apply
leverage to tighten.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Another method you can do if its able to be mounted in a vise is take
a block of wood and drill hole thorugh it to fit pipe, then slit the
block so you have two blocks with half a hole each.clamp in vise using
blocks to hold pipe. Can do the same with block and a pipe wrench
applied to it.
If yu use a dense hard wood like maple it would be less likely to crak
or bust with a pipe wrench......

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:21:44 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

The tool you are looking for is a strap wrench. Here is a photo:
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Strap-Wrench/index.htm

There are surely Chiwanese cheapies available, but you do get what
you pay for. Some of the commercial flush valves come with a
plastic and rubber strap version that I'm sure any plumber would
give you. You can probably improvise with a vise grip and old
inner tube.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
legroups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

The ultimate cheapy clamp is just two blocks with a suitable groove in
each. 1/4" pipe is .540" Get two blocks of hardwood or aluminum,
separate them with 1 or 2 sheets of manilla folder paper. Drill a 17/32"
hole down the gap between the two blocks. This should give you a hole a
few thousandths under sized. Insert the pipe and the block in a vice.

wrote:
Hi,
Anyone have a good method to grip metal pipe without marring?
I'm looking for a DIY method, hopefully with basic tools.
It's 1/4" zinc plated pipe and I have another 1/4" pipe with a smooth
finish(i think it's stainless). Both pipes have 1/4" MPTs and I'm
trying to fit some female fittings on the ends.

Also, if there is some special tool(reasonably priced I hope) that
would make thinks much easier, let me know. What do the pros use?

Thanks!

-joe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks to everyone for their replies.
I learned something new about the strap wrench. Now I get it. I tried
one of those plastic ones with a rubber strap, but it couldn't grasp
the slick pipe. Plus the pipe was a bit small for the wrench I had.
The strap wrench for pipes could come in handy, so time to add it to
the tool collection. I like the wood block technique too. Gives me
some options.
-j

wrote:
Hi,
Anyone have a good method to grip metal pipe without marring?
I'm looking for a DIY method, hopefully with basic tools.
It's 1/4" zinc plated pipe and I have another 1/4" pipe with a smooth
finish(i think it's stainless). Both pipes have 1/4" MPTs and I'm
trying to fit some female fittings on the ends.

Also, if there is some special tool(reasonably priced I hope) that
would make thinks much easier, let me know. What do the pros use?

Thanks!

-joe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On 1 Feb 2006 12:39:46 -0800, "John Martin"

Hi,
Anyone have a good method to grip metal pipe without marring?
I'm looking for a DIY method, hopefully with basic tools.
It's 1/4" zinc plated pipe and I have another 1/4" pipe with a smooth
finish(i think it's stainless). Both pipes have 1/4" MPTs and I'm
trying to fit some female fittings on the ends.

Also, if there is some special tool(reasonably priced I hope) that
would make thinks much easier, let me know. What do the pros use?

Thanks!

-joe

You've already had replies concerning strap wrenches and split wood
blocks.

Split wood or soft metal blocks held in a vise are a favorite of
gunsmiths for holding barrels without marring them. Powdered rosin
will make them even grippier, if you need it.

There is also a wrench called a girth wrench, made for plumbers for
doing the same thing. They are still made by Parmelee:

http://www.parmeleewrench.com/ips.htm

The jaws are wide, smooth three-piece jaws that completely circle the
pipe or bar. Each diameter requires its own set of jaws.
Unfortunately for you, they only go as small as 1/2" pipe. Plus, they
are expensive.

John Martin

There's another tool that works if the inside of the pipe is
accessable. It's a hex piece of stock turned down on one end with a
knurled eccentric on that end. When the thing is turned the eccentric
grabs the inside of the pipe. Very handy for putting in or removing
shower parts.
ERS

question jr Metalworking 17 August 30th 05 01:37 AM
Metal pipe rose? Simon UK diy 3 August 4th 05 10:28 PM
undoing cast iron soil pipe joint Alasdair UK diy 8 February 2nd 04 07:17 AM
Replacing old steel water main supply pipe Pandora UK diy 3 January 24th 04 08:53 AM