Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin

Default Grip 1/4" metal pipe without marring?

wrote:
Hi,
Anyone have a good method to grip metal pipe without marring?
I'm looking for a DIY method, hopefully with basic tools.
It's 1/4" zinc plated pipe and I have another 1/4" pipe with a smooth
finish(i think it's stainless). Both pipes have 1/4" MPTs and I'm
trying to fit some female fittings on the ends.

Also, if there is some special tool(reasonably priced I hope) that
would make thinks much easier, let me know. What do the pros use?

Thanks!

-joe

You've already had replies concerning strap wrenches and split wood
blocks.

Split wood or soft metal blocks held in a vise are a favorite of
gunsmiths for holding barrels without marring them. Powdered rosin
will make them even grippier, if you need it.

There is also a wrench called a girth wrench, made for plumbers for
doing the same thing. They are still made by Parmelee:

http://www.parmeleewrench.com/ips.htm

The jaws are wide, smooth three-piece jaws that completely circle the
pipe or bar. Each diameter requires its own set of jaws.
Unfortunately for you, they only go as small as 1/2" pipe. Plus, they
are expensive.

John Martin