Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Proctologically Violated©®

Default DoAll band saws: older vs newer

Awl--

I'm in the market for a 16" DoAll, and came across a local dealer w/ an
interesting older model.
It's much heavier than more recent models, w/ some neat features, one of
them is a weight-driven power feed! Actuated by a foot pedal in front, and
chains/wire rope that hook to a doodad that holds the work. !!
It is variable speed (2 ranges), old blade welder, side rail on the table
like what's on a table saw, about 7 feet tall. Big metal circular speed
chart on the front, lite, *dust blower*, probably other stuff I forgot
about. Seems in good condition.

Did I say it's *heavy*?! I think a 3/4" base plate.

Not as sleek/compact as my buddy's not-as-old 16" DoAll, but seems to have
many more bells/whistles. I'm leaning toward the lighter version, tho, being
a one-dude shop...

Asking $1600, also a bit more than I want to spend.
A good/decent deal? Are the older DoAlls a good bet?

One thing I wonder about on DoAll's is that they don't use ball bearing
guides for the blade. Anyone ever add these?

Appreciate all opinions.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

Sounds like the machine that I have. It has been a great machine. The
thrust guide are ball bearings but the side guides are not. You change
them to match the width of the band that you are using.

Check the tires, the variable speed pullys, tracking and listen to it.
If all is in order that is not too far from a usual street price.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
ATP*

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
[...]

I recently saw a pretty decent DoAll go for $400 at auction. I've seen very
clean newer machines, 15 to 20 years old, go for $900 to $1100. This is in
the NY area. $1600 sounds high. Old and interesting doesn't usually equal
expensive in machine tools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Ned Simmons

In article , says...
[...]

That sounds like an ML or Metalmaster. I've got a 1948 ML, the
Metalmasters go back to the late 30s. They seem to be more rugged no-
compromise machines compared to the newer small DoAlls. The newer saws
do have a wider speed range on the high end. The MLs top out at 1500FPM
- not a big deal unless you're planning on doing a lot of wood sawing or
want friction sawing capability.

$1600 sounds reasonable to me for a saw that you can inspect and try out
from a reputable dealer. I've seen these saws sell on ebay and at
auctions for under $1000.

Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Used to be the price you wanted on clean used DoAll bandsaws was $100/inch, i.e.
a 16" saw should cost $1600. Around the Seattle area we tend to get stripped and
rusty hulks for about twice that, so I gave up years ago. - GWE

Ned Simmons wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
BottleBob

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote:

One thing I wonder about on DoAll's is that they don't use ball bearing
guides for the blade. Anyone ever add these?

PV:

I wouldn't give a second thought to the guides not being ball/roller
bearings. Our vertical band saw doesn't have ball/roller bearing saw
guides and we must have cut hundreds of miles worth of various metals
over the years.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Cliff

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 22:48:07 GMT, BottleBob wrote:

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote:

One thing I wonder about on DoAll's is that they don't use ball bearing
guides for the blade. Anyone ever add these?

PV:

I wouldn't give a second thought to the guides not being ball/roller
bearings. Our vertical band saw doesn't have ball/roller bearing saw
guides and we must have cut hundreds of miles worth of various metals
over the years.

The long way or the short way?
--
Cliff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
BottleBob

Cliff wrote:

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 22:48:07 GMT, BottleBob wrote:

PV:

I wouldn't give a second thought to the guides not being ball/roller
bearings. Our vertical band saw doesn't have ball/roller bearing saw
guides and we must have cut hundreds of miles worth of various metals
over the years.

The long way or the short way?

Cliff:

Both ways. LOL

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

ATI card will not sense older tv as sec. display unless VCR connected, help! [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 December 18th 05 04:33 PM
DoAll G-10 ptmachine Metalworking 2 February 2nd 05 05:15 PM
Newer K-Body reversable head B a r r y Woodworking 2 January 10th 05 04:42 PM
Newer Ridgid jointer or older Craftsman jointer RobW Woodworking 5 November 5th 04 04:47 PM
OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ T. Woodworking 301 January 14th 04 11:54 AM