Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
joel

Default where to get sony DRO Scales?

i've got a Sony magnescale on my lathe, and it looks like the scale(or
cable or adapter, but i think it's the scale itself) is bad. when i move
the cross slide inward it reads positive. when i move the cross slide
outward, it gets choppy, but continues to increment to the positive!
i've swapped the inputs from the apron scale and it, and the problem
follows the crossslide scale. i've googled a bunch, but i don't find
any comprehensive websites on the topic aside from the sony instruments
site, but they don't talk about repair or how to order a replacement.

the magnescale is a model LF-200, and the scale is a SR-745 10/250. it's
14.5" overall length and looks like it has about a 12" read length

who have you worked with that's knowledgable, reputable, and will take a
phone call?

thanks,

--joel

--
remove xxnospamxx to reach me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Just a thought its late in the UK and i'm about to go to bed. I have a
Sony system on my mill and a Newall on the lathe. The Newall exhibited
something like this one time when turned on, you could move the carriage
maybe 0.010" and it would show 4" or something ridiculus. The linear
compensation setting had been screwed and instead of 0 was like 6
digits. It showed some bizarre behaviour. Worth checking. I just went
into setup mode and set it back to 0, I don't do anything that would
require linear compensation.

joel wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

joel wrote:

[...]

The scale glass may be dirty or have chips on it. You can clean it
with a cotton swab and isopropol alcahol. Be careful not to scratch it
with a chip or dirt rubbing on it. The biggest problem with the reader
heads other than dirt is that the led/photosensors change value and have
to be recompensated. There are adjustments in the reader head to do
this. I does require a little knowledge in using a scope and adjusting
the pots.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

John sez:
" The scale glass may be dirty or have chips on it. You can clean it
with a cotton swab and isopropol alcahol."

Sony DRO's don't have glass scales. Check the name "Sony magnescale"

Bob Swinney

"John" wrote in message
joel wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
joel

good feedback from everyone, but a few points to consider:
1) the sony system doesn't use glass scales.
2) not mentioned here, but i did clean the rod and swabbed out the
sensor.
3) the fact that it increments to the positive in both directions and
the troubleshooting i've done indicates something is bad with the scale
sensor itself.
4) so, who do you know who sells scales/fixes them that is knowledgable,
reputable, and will take a phone call?

thanks,
--joel

joel wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Robert Swinney wrote:

John sez:
" The scale glass may be dirty or have chips on it. You can clean it
with a cotton swab and isopropol alcahol."

Sony DRO's don't have glass scales. Check the name "Sony magnescale"

Bob Swinney

Sony makes other scales besides Magnascales.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
StaticsJason

I have dealt with Automation & Metrology, Inc. before regarding Sony scales
and readouts. The very helpful fellow I spoke with is David. 888-354-2525
www.auto-met.com

fyi I was dealing with them as an oem looking for a DRO system for
integration into manufacturing equipment, but he was cordial and helpful
even before he knew that.

hth,
StaticsJason