Ed Huntress

Default OT - Gunner Quote - for Gunner and all the Gunnettes

"Abrasha" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

Of course it is. I spent the last year of my life researching it and

writing
a couple of lengthy magazine articles about it.

http://www.machiningmagazine.com/China.pdf

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Ok, Abrasha, you can be my PR man. d8-)

Ed Huntress

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

"Ed Huntress" writes:

http://www.machiningmagazine.com/China.pdf

Great article, Ed! I've downloaded the others as well, and am looking
forward to reading them. Highly recommended reading, folks!

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway
www.eunet.no T: +47-22092958 M: +47-93013940 F: +47-22092901
Ed Huntress

"Tom Ivar Helbekkmo" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" writes:

http://www.machiningmagazine.com/China.pdf

Great article, Ed! I've downloaded the others as well, and am looking
forward to reading them. Highly recommended reading, folks!

Thanks, Tom. 'Glad you enjoyed it. Of the four articles on that site, I
wrote three of them, including the one without a byline. The fourth one,
about Representative Phil English's trade proposal, was written by David
Smith.

Ed Huntress

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

"Ed Huntress" writes:

http://www.machiningmagazine.com/China.pdf

Great article, Ed! I've downloaded the others as well, and am looking
forward to reading them. Highly recommended reading, folks!

Thanks, Tom. 'Glad you enjoyed it. Of the four articles on that site, I
wrote three of them, including the one without a byline. The fourth one,
about Representative Phil English's trade proposal, was written by David
Smith.

I think David Smith would do well to read your material carefully, and
try to learn from your approach. I've now read all three articles on
China, and the contrast between your interesting, thoughtful writing,
and Smith's frothing at the mouth, is overwhelming. His lies don't go
down too well, either.

What sort of responses did you get from the politicians? I'd love to
read some of that material, or at least some sort of summary... Your
questions take some answering -- in fact, they're of a nature where
the lack of a response would be telling, in its own right. :-)

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway
www.eunet.no T: +47-22092958 M: +47-93013940 F: +47-22092901
Excitable Boy

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote in message ...

What sort of responses did you get from the politicians? I'd love to
read some of that material, or at least some sort of summary... Your
questions take some answering -- in fact, they're of a nature where
the lack of a response would be telling, in its own right. :-)

I should mind my own business here, but this part I found mildly
amusing :

A long long time ago, in a Universe far far away, Ed had some of
the same common misconceptions we see others spouting cf China,
machining, Milton Friedman,and so on.

Then Ed decided to do a series of articles about the situation ....
when Ed gets into his job he does it right : we'll all have to admit
that, I think. Over the progress of three articles, mention of Milton
went down drastically but the big buildup was coming ... the culmination
was to be Ed's discussions with the People in Power, the People Who
Know, the people at Commerce who were gonna Take Action.

Then a period of prolonged silence.

Then Ed's quiet announcement that he no longer worked for a magazine
that depended upon manufacturing ad revenues for its existence.

Possibly my inductive reasoning is as faulty as Bob G's, but .... I
got the impression that Ed did not find Our Leadership to be especially
reassuring in re the future of manufacturing in the US, at least as far
as small to midsized shops go. And I haven't heard Ed quote Uncle Miltie
once over the past six months :-)

Ed Huntress

"Ed Huntress" writes:

[...]

Tom, thank you for your gracious comments. For the sake of fairness, I had
an extraordinary amount of time to research and write each of my articles --
several entire months in which I had no other responsibilities but to write
each one -- while David had about 3 days to write his. No kidding.

David is a fine journalist who came from Business Week. He had to rely on
Congressman Phil English for the content of that piece, and there's a
problem right there. There's nothing basically wrong with English, but he's
a man in a vise, a conservative Republican who has to support free trade as
a Party issue, but who has in his district perhaps the biggest collection of
small metalworking shops in the US that are being beaten senseless by
low-wage competition. When you get squeezed that way, it's like a tomato
being squeezed in an arbor press: some funny-smelling stuff comes squirting
out the sides. g

That's just the way it goes sometimes in writing and editing trade
publications on a deadline. We just try to suck it up and move on.

As for the response, I was just starting on that when I got laid off.
Business is still desperate among manufacturing trade magazines in the US. I
hope they'll pick it up at Machining and get those responses.

Ed Huntress

Ping: Gunner jim rozen Metalworking 3 November 22nd 03 03:40 PM
[Fwd: Rant](for Gunner) Lorne Metalworking 6 October 30th 03 03:31 PM
Gunner: invite me for visiting in CA Sir Al Babin Metalworking 6 September 2nd 03 08:42 AM