Old January 24th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
sparty

Default Bandsaw for metal cutting

Without spending too much money, what is a good bandsaw to cutout
designs in metal. How thick of metal can you cut? I am eventually
going to buy a plasma cutter, but would like a bandsaw as well, without
spending too much.

Thanks, James

Old January 25th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tony wrote:
You can get a decent Do-All on ebay for $1500.

He said without spending too much. :-)

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old January 25th 06, 08:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
lens

I am in the process of making my own budget vertical metal bandsaw. I
bought an old 14" Taiwanese wood bandsaw on Craigslist. A real old one
is good because it's heavier than the newer ones. I got a 30:1 gear
reducer on ebay for about $50 shipped. With 14" saw wheels, and a 1725
RPM motor, 30:1 gets you 210 fpm if you use direct drive with some
Lovejoy couplers. That speed is just about right for general metal
cutting, but If you play with belts and pullies, you can have other
speeds too. From what I've read on the NG, trying to do the 30:1 speed
reduction with pullies alone would be too hard and would likely slip
under loads. My saw is not done yet (I need to add some bracketing to
hold the gear reducer) but I think it will do pretty well for about
$200 total cost.

Old January 25th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chuck Sherwood

I bought an OLD delta metal/wood bandsaw for about 400.
It has multiple metal speeds and one high speed for wood.
Useable as delivered but needs a paint job.

Old January 25th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected]

sparty write:

Without spending too much money, what is a good bandsaw to cutout
designs in metal. How thick of metal can you cut? I am eventually
going to buy a plasma cutter, but would like a bandsaw as well, without
spending too much.

Thanks, James

Just to give you an idea: I'm using a Enco 5x6 bandsaw (about $200) to
cut curves in 1" thick aluminum: 4 to 7" long cuts, min radius about
4". Takes five or ten minutes but goes pretty easily.

Keep in mind, the blade width will limit how tight a curve you can
cut. A 4"radius is about the limit for a 1/2" blade I think.

I'm not too concerned about accuracy: usually cut curves to within a
few hundredths oversize, then finish on mill. You could cut closer
than that if you can tolerate going undersize.

The table is a little flimsy so many people modify it for a bigger
one. But it works well enough for me as is.

If you get one of these saws make sure to buy a good blade for it.

--
Drew

Old January 25th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
sparty

Thanks all. Has anyone tried that one from Harbor Freight...

That looks pretty cool and an awesome price, just not sure how good it
is. I would like to stay under the $300 range.

I would be cutting 1/4" Steel/Aluminum and thinner. Not sure I would
ever need to do anything thicker. I would like to be able to cut out
designs, like lets say the State of Texas or Michigan or something
along those lines. I have used a plasma cutter before, but don't have
the money for one right now, and would also like something like this
that can do slightly cleaner cuts in tight corners, where a plasma
cutter can't.

Thanks.