Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bandsaw for metal cutting

sparty write:

Without spending too much money, what is a good bandsaw to cutout
designs in metal. How thick of metal can you cut? I am eventually
going to buy a plasma cutter, but would like a bandsaw as well, without
spending too much.

Thanks, James

Just to give you an idea: I'm using a Enco 5x6 bandsaw (about $200) to
cut curves in 1" thick aluminum: 4 to 7" long cuts, min radius about
4". Takes five or ten minutes but goes pretty easily.

Keep in mind, the blade width will limit how tight a curve you can
cut. A 4"radius is about the limit for a 1/2" blade I think.

I'm not too concerned about accuracy: usually cut curves to within a
few hundredths oversize, then finish on mill. You could cut closer
than that if you can tolerate going undersize.

The table is a little flimsy so many people modify it for a bigger
one. But it works well enough for me as is.

If you get one of these saws make sure to buy a good blade for it.

--
Drew