Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tin

Anybody know where I can buy sheets of tin for tin punching?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG

I'll bite. I may be totally incorrect, not all that unusual a
position. If you are talking about punching pattern holes in "tin
plate" like in an antique pie cupboard or similar, I think you
will find it is galvanized steel plate. For a full sheet or more,
contact a local steel supplier and ask for his lightest gauge
galvanized sheet. This material will be quite shiny. You may
prefer "paint grip" where the galvanize has been cleaned and
treated - it is a bit more dull. If you want some smaller pieces,
contact a local sheet metal shop or heat and air company. They
would probably give you enough small pieces to keep you more than
busy. They might even have copper sheet, aluminum sheet,
stainless.

I don't think you can buy sheets of just tin. Again, I'm prepared
to be wrong. I was set on being wrong, I went and tried Google.
I found this:
http://www.vandykes.com/product/02226936/

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody know where I can buy sheets of tin for tin punching?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

He may be tooking for tern plate, ie tin plated steel. Fairly rare, some
suppliers may have some in stock.

Anybody know where I can buy sheets of tin for tin punching?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:19:04 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

I'll bite. I may be totally incorrect, not all that unusual a
position. If you are talking about punching pattern holes in "tin
plate" like in an antique pie cupboard or similar, I think you
will find it is galvanized steel plate.

Isn't the zinc stuff that's punched simply sheet zinc, rather than zinc
plated steel ? It's soft and quite easy to work.

Here in Europe it's reasonably common to use sheet zinc for bar
countertops. In France and Belgium it's traditional.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Tin plate is tin plated steel not galvanised which has a zinc coating.
The tin plate is not good for corrosion protection as it only provides a
physical protection, it is not sacrificial to steel like zinc is.

DanG wrote:

[...]

wrote in message
roups.com...

Anybody know where I can buy sheets of tin for tin punching?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff R

"RoyJ" wrote in message
nk.net...
He may be tooking for tern plate, ie tin plated steel. Fairly rare, some
suppliers may have some in stock.

"Rare"?
Common as insert vulgarity here in Australia.

What are American soup cans made of?

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:41:02 -0600, spaco

Anybody know where I can buy sheets of tin for tin punching?

As in "Pierced Tin Lantern"?

I think you want "tin plated mild steel", in about 28 gauge. Try
googling that.

I bought my last shipment from:
Retco Alloy Co.
880 Estes Av
Elk Grove Village, Il., 60007

Don't remember how much it cost. This was at least 10 years ago.
It came in sheets about 20" X 30". I had to buy 25 sheets.

Pete Stanaitis

This was one of the standard stock materials for sheet metal shop in
high school fifty years ago. I don't recall the sheet size but 30"
width rings a bell.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody know where I can buy sheets of tin for tin punching?

funny, the previous responses. my first thought was... those (not sure if
they're two gallons, or three gallons, or what, they're certainly larger
than one gallon) rectangular metal vegetable oil containers out in the back
by the garbage by every chinese restaurant i know of. free. cut 'em up and
flatten 'em out. either get paint stripper to remove the printed on labels
or leave them on for "character".

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 02:41:16 GMT, "William Wixon"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Anybody know where I can buy sheets of tin for tin punching?

funny, the previous responses. my first thought was... those (not sure if
they're two gallons, or three gallons, or what, they're certainly larger
than one gallon) rectangular metal vegetable oil containers out in the back
by the garbage by every chinese restaurant i know of. free. cut 'em up and
flatten 'em out. either get paint stripper to remove the printed on labels
or leave them on for "character".

b.w.

While I worked in quality control on civil engineering projects, I had
an excellent source - compressive strength samples of concrete are
cast in 6" dia x 12" long molds often made of tin plate (one
manufacturer was Vulcan Containers although I don't see them on their
web site http://www.vulcanltd.ca/index.html )
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

Local HVAC sheet metal shop.
Bugs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

wrote:

rectangular metal vegetable oil containers out in the back
by the garbage by every chinese restaurant i know of. free.

Trouble with those is that they're nearly all plastic coated on the
inside (olive oil though usually seems free of this). Taking the plastic
off involves a powered wire brush (either before or after heating) and
that also damages the thin tin plating.

"Terne plate" is hard to find, but it has a thickness of clean tin on it
that's expecting to be worked on further.