Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Lamb

Default Ubuntu Live CD

Ok, I found one that didn't work.

Tried using my cell phone as a modem on my lap top.

The windoze driver works fine, but it didn't come up
under Ubuntu. go figure...

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 05:43:21 GMT, Eregon wrote:

(Speechless) wrote in news:43f6adc7.38586109
:

There are two kinds of modems:
Hardware modem = works with Linux
Software modem, aka "WinModem", works only with Windows

Bad news, boobie: the "WinModem" is HARDWARE, too!

Actually..a WinModem is considered to be a Software modem. And its
rare that they will work with much of anything besides Windows.

That being said..there are a number of attempts by some linux
programmers to be able to utilize them.

Google Linux and winmodem. I supplied some links last night.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary

There are two kinds of modems:
Hardware modem = works with Linux
Software modem, aka "WinModem", works only with Windows
Which do you have?

That seems to be the problem. It's a V-92 56k fax win modem. I guess
I can put it in my older computer and get a new non win modem for the
newer one. Thanks guys.
73 Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 16:52:14 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

Ok, I found one that didn't work.

Tried using my cell phone as a modem on my lap top.

The windoze driver works fine, but it didn't come up
under Ubuntu. go figure...

Richard

google is your friend.

Lots of linux junkies porting just about anything you can think of to
linux

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Speechless

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 05:43:21 GMT, Eregon wrote:

(Speechless) wrote in news:43f6adc7.38586109
:

There are two kinds of modems:
Hardware modem = works with Linux
Software modem, aka "WinModem", works only with Windows

Bad news, boobie: the "WinModem" is HARDWARE, too!

You don't have to take my word for it. You can go directly to the
manufacturer's web site at:

http://www.usr.com/education/modem0.asp

where the differences between a hardware modem and a "WinModem" are
explained via animated graphics for those graduates who are hukked on
fonikks.

The good news is that you really don't need to understand the
differences. All you need to know is that if you are running an
operating system other than Micros*ft Windows, you need to utter the
phrase, "I want to purchase a controller-based hardware modem that
will work with my Linux" expressed in a language that is understood by
your favorite computer retailer the next time you visit him.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Lamb

wrote:

Ok, I found one that didn't work.

Tried using my cell phone as a modem on my lap top.

The windoze driver works fine, but it didn't come up
under Ubuntu. go figure...

Richard

google is your friend.

Lots of linux junkies porting just about anything you can think of to
linux

Gunner

Weeell, while I'm obviously never wrong, it may be that this one time
I was a little short on being right :^)

Seems that some FOOL can't click on the right dialer.
My PCM modem was not installed at the moment, and, well,
it SHOULD have worked anyway, right?

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 18 Feb 2006 10:22:43 -0800, "Gary" wrote:

There are two kinds of modems:

Hardware modem = works with Linux
Software modem, aka "WinModem", works only with Windows
Which do you have?

That seems to be the problem. It's a V-92 56k fax win modem. I guess
I can put it in my older computer and get a new non win modem for the
newer one. Thanks guys.
73 Gary

There are several versions of KPPP that will seek out and configure
the win modems.

Google is your friend

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 03:41:08 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Ive been playing around with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux, via their
Live CD.

snip
FWIW--

There are several emulators that will let you run windows
programs under Linux. This can be important where the windows
programs have features/macros that you use a lot. For example my
main statistics program is Excel with the WinStat add-in. Also I
like the BBC script add-ins for Word.

There appear to be several emulators out there.
One that is free is available at
http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/toptip4.shtml

Uncle George

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

Ive been playing around with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux, via their
Live CD.

snip
FWIW--

There are several emulators that will let you run windows
programs under Linux. This can be important where the windows
programs have features/macros that you use a lot. For example my
main statistics program is Excel with the WinStat add-in. Also I
like the BBC script add-ins for Word.

There appear to be several emulators out there.
One that is free is available at
http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/toptip4.shtml

Uncle George

Also an emulator called Wine and another called Win4Lin..

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Lamb

wrote:

Ive been playing around with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux, via their
Live CD.

snip
FWIW--

There are several emulators that will let you run windows
programs under Linux. This can be important where the windows
programs have features/macros that you use a lot. For example my
main statistics program is Excel with the WinStat add-in. Also I
like the BBC script add-ins for Word.

There appear to be several emulators out there.
One that is free is available at
http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/toptip4.shtml

Uncle George

Thanks, Unk.

will check it out...

Richard

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Lamb

wrote:

Ive been playing around with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux, via their
Live CD.

snip
FWIW--

There are several emulators that will let you run windows
programs under Linux. This can be important where the windows
programs have features/macros that you use a lot. For example my
main statistics program is Excel with the WinStat add-in. Also I
like the BBC script add-ins for Word.

There appear to be several emulators out there.
One that is free is available at
http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/toptip4.shtml

Uncle George

Also an emulator called Wine and another called Win4Lin..

Gunner

Haven't checked into Wine yet, but Win4Lin is not really an "emulator".
It simply allows one to run Windows apps under Linux - AS windows apps.
ie: Windows is required and is tehn running - holes and all...

Thanks,

Richard