Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Speechless

Default Ubuntu Live CD

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 05:43:21 GMT, Eregon wrote:

(Speechless) wrote in news:43f6adc7.38586109
:

There are two kinds of modems:
Hardware modem = works with Linux
Software modem, aka "WinModem", works only with Windows

Bad news, boobie: the "WinModem" is HARDWARE, too!

You don't have to take my word for it. You can go directly to the
manufacturer's web site at:

http://www.usr.com/education/modem0.asp

where the differences between a hardware modem and a "WinModem" are
explained via animated graphics for those graduates who are hukked on
fonikks.

The good news is that you really don't need to understand the
differences. All you need to know is that if you are running an
operating system other than Micros*ft Windows, you need to utter the
phrase, "I want to purchase a controller-based hardware modem that
will work with my Linux" expressed in a language that is understood by
your favorite computer retailer the next time you visit him.