Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default Rectangular peg, no hole?

Hello all,

I am slowly starting to measure the amount of shim material I will need
to align the head on my mill.

Along with the import 12 inch calipers, my backup test indicator arrived
yesterday. It is a Baker, and I'm impressed so far. In the case is a
4-5 inch rectangular bar with a pin near one end. It looks like it
would be quite useful for the sweep I need to make, but I do not see how
to mount the indicator to it, or maybe I don't see how to mount it to
the spindle. I can readily get one end to work, but not both.

Am I missing the obvious? I think I can rig something given another
connector they included and some hardware from a mag base. If there is
a correct way to do this, I will happily take advantage of it.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
link.net...
Hello all,

I am slowly starting to measure the amount of shim material I will need to
align the head on my mill.

Along with the import 12 inch calipers, my backup test indicator arrived
yesterday. It is a Baker, and I'm impressed so far. In the case is a 4-5
inch rectangular bar with a pin near one end. It looks like it would be
quite useful for the sweep I need to make, but I do not see how to mount
the indicator to it, or maybe I don't see how to mount it to the spindle.
I can readily get one end to work, but not both.

Am I missing the obvious? I think I can rig something given another
connector they included and some hardware from a mag base. If there is a
correct way to do this, I will happily take advantage of it.

Bill

Sounds like the rectangular bar might be intended to mount the indicator in
a lantern type lathe toolpost. I can't think how it might be useful for
mounting to a mill spindle.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Don,

Sounds like the rectangular bar might be intended to mount the indicator in
a lantern type lathe toolpost. I can't think how it might be useful for
mounting to a mill spindle.

I wish you guys would stop saying "lathe" - my evil twin reads this
group, and he buys all of the tools

That likely explains it. One option would be to improvise an adaptor
with a slot and set screw for the bar, and post to go into the spindle.
Of course, it would be easier to build that if I had a lathe - damn,
now you have me saying it

On that forbidden subject, I am stalling in large part because I don't
have any idea what size machine to get. I _think_ a Sherline would do
everything I would want, but every so often, somebody suggests something
that sounds like it would be good to be able to do, and that might not
fit on such a small machine.

Thanks!

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Walker

Bill Schwab wrote:
Hello all,

I am slowly starting to measure the amount of shim material I will need
to align the head on my mill.

Along with the import 12 inch calipers, my backup test indicator arrived
yesterday. It is a Baker, and I'm impressed so far. In the case is a
4-5 inch rectangular bar with a pin near one end.

If the bar is about 1/4" x 1/2" cross section, it's for mounting the
indicator on a height gage.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Steve,

If the bar is about 1/4" x 1/2" cross section, it's for mounting the
indicator on a height gage.

That must be it. Thanks!

Bill