Dan_Musicant

Default Attic vent - Cutting large rectangular hole in stucco

I'm installing four 14" x 24" attic vents, two through wood shingle
siding (easy) and two through stucco exteriored walls (hard). I need to
cut two 13.5" x 23.25" rectangular holes in the stuccoed walls. How can
I do this?

Tungsten carbide sawzall blades after having made holes with tungsten
carbide drill bits?

Masonry cutting wheel on my Porter Cable sawboss circle saw, or some
other power tool?

Is there some other way?

Thanks!

Dan

John McGaw

Dan_Musicant wrote:
I'm installing four 14" x 24" attic vents, two through wood shingle
siding (easy) and two through stucco exteriored walls (hard). I need to
cut two 13.5" x 23.25" rectangular holes in the stuccoed walls. How can
I do this?

Tungsten carbide sawzall blades after having made holes with tungsten
carbide drill bits?

Masonry cutting wheel on my Porter Cable sawboss circle saw, or some
other power tool?

Is there some other way?

Thanks!

Dan

An ugly messy job -- haven't done it myself but I was watching when a
contractor did it on a neighbor's house to put in larger windows. They
were using a worm-drive circular saw and making some pretty neat plunge
cuts despite the clouds of dust. Wear a mask! Take a look at this link
and see if it makes any sense:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P2D01230C

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
PipeDown

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
I'm installing four 14" x 24" attic vents, two through wood shingle
siding (easy) and two through stucco exteriored walls (hard). I need to
cut two 13.5" x 23.25" rectangular holes in the stuccoed walls. How can
I do this?

Tungsten carbide sawzall blades after having made holes with tungsten
carbide drill bits?

Masonry cutting wheel on my Porter Cable sawboss circle saw, or some
other power tool?

Is there some other way?

Thanks!

Dan

Diamond masonry blade; wet or dry but dry would be easier. They come in
just about any standard blade size but you might as well buy a cheap harbor
freight 5" saw and blade as it may cost less than an 8" blade alone. Can
also find cheap saws with blades on eBay. Also good for tile, concrete and
slab cutting (though a little rough).

I used one to cut a new backdoor through stucco and it was perfect and
needed no pilot holes (save one to locate the stud intersection on the other
side). Wear a full face shield as it is a messy bit of work. Have wire
cutters handy as the chicken wire reinforcement often needs cutting when the
piece comes out.

Rudy

Masonry cutting wheel on my Porter Cable sawboss circle saw, or some
other power tool?

Thats the cheapest and easiest way to go..7.25" masonry cutting disk on your
circular saw.

Dan_Musicant

:
:Thats the cheapest and easiest way to go..7.25" masonry cutting disk on your
:circular saw.
:

That's what I did, with the help of a friend - he lent me his cordless
with diamond blade. It worked like a charm.