Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

Default Earth's Limited Supply of Metals Raises Concern

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200601...sraisesconcern

This kinda off topic but is realy OT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Actually, the http://www.livescience.com/ has a lot of very interesting
articles. I bookmarked that one.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

wayne mak wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200601...sraisesconcern

This kinda off topic but is realy OT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Jones

Rex B wrote:
Actually, the http://www.livescience.com/ has a lot of very interesting
articles. I bookmarked that one.

What we really need is a device, perhaps nanobots or a miniature black-hole (or
a combination of the two), which is fed garbage and it spits out elemental
matter. Then there'd be no resource shortage ever... only an energy shortage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Mark Jones wrote:
Rex B wrote:

Actually, the http://www.livescience.com/ has a lot of very interesting
articles. I bookmarked that one.

What we really need is a device, perhaps nanobots or a miniature black-hole (or
a combination of the two), which is fed garbage and it spits out elemental
matter. Then there'd be no resource shortage ever... only an energy shortage.

Might as well wish for a Good fairy with a magic wand
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Howard Eisenhauer

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:31:49 -0500, "wayne mak"
wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200601...sraisesconcern

This kinda off topic but is realy OT

Thars Gold in them thar Asteroids!

H.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

The earth might covet Harold's supply, or at least his methodology.

"wayne mak" wrote in message
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200601...sraisesconcern

This kinda off topic but is realy OT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Insolo

Where's all that stuff going- somebody shooting it out into space?

"wayne mak" wrote in message

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200601...upplyofmetalsr
aisesconcern

This kinda off topic but is realy OT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

"wayne mak" wrote in message
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200601...upplyofmetalsr
aisesconcern

This kinda off topic but is realy OT

I wish to report that the earth's core is made of almost pure
nickel-iron alloy, so the supply of iron from which to make our iron
toys is assured. All we have to do is to dig a thousand miles straight
down.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 09:57:26 -0500, the renowned Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

"wayne mak" wrote in message
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200601...upplyofmetalsr
aisesconcern

This kinda off topic but is realy OT

I wish to report that the earth's core is made of almost pure
nickel-iron alloy, so the supply of iron from which to make our iron
toys is assured. All we have to do is to dig a thousand miles straight
down.

Joe Gwinn

If Tom Swift Jr. could do it with his "Atomic Earth Blaster", so can
we (eventually).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message

I wish to report that the earth's core is made of almost pure
nickel-iron alloy, so the supply of iron from which to make our iron
toys is assured. All we have to do is to dig a thousand miles straight
down.

Joe Gwinn

"new" theory there's a natural atomic reactor at the center of the
nickel-iron core.

http://nuclearplanet.com/
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...GPIA17BL45.DTL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

In article ,
"William Wixon" wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message

I wish to report that the earth's core is made of almost pure
nickel-iron alloy, so the supply of iron from which to make our iron
toys is assured. All we have to do is to dig a thousand miles straight
down.

"new" theory there's a natural atomic reactor at the center of the
nickel-iron core.

http://nuclearplanet.com/
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...GPIA17BL45.DTL

It's an interesting theory. I haven't seen it in Science or Nature yet.
I don't doubt that it's controversial - almost everything significant in
Earth Science starts out that way. It will probably take at least ten
years to confirm or refute,

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Jones

Rex B wrote:
Mark Jones wrote:
Rex B wrote:

Actually, the http://www.livescience.com/ has a lot of very interesting
articles. I bookmarked that one.

What we really need is a device, perhaps nanobots or a miniature
black-hole (or
a combination of the two), which is fed garbage and it spits out
elemental
matter. Then there'd be no resource shortage ever... only an energy
shortage.

Might as well wish for a Good fairy with a magic wand

Or a reboot of the entire universe.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Jones

Jim Insolo wrote:
Where's all that stuff going- somebody shooting it out into space?

No, it's rusting in the form of steel cars, metal structures, bridges, etc.

It's burning in the form of sodium-vapor streetlamps, solid rocket fuel,
refinery operations, etc.

One of the primary laws of physics is that matter cannot be created or
destroyed... so the metals aren't going anywhere, only being converted into
stuff which is unusable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tony

I believe this theory. How else could the core stay so hot after millions of
years without an internal reaction?

Tony
"William Wixon" wrote in message

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message

I wish to report that the earth's core is made of almost pure
nickel-iron alloy, so the supply of iron from which to make our iron
toys is assured. All we have to do is to dig a thousand miles straight
down.

Joe Gwinn

"new" theory there's a natural atomic reactor at the center of the
nickel-iron core.

http://nuclearplanet.com/
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...GPIA17BL45.DTL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Lamb

Tony wrote:
I believe this theory. How else could the core stay so hot after millions of
years without an internal reaction?

Tony
"William Wixon" wrote in message

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message

I wish to report that the earth's core is made of almost pure
nickel-iron alloy, so the supply of iron from which to make our iron
toys is assured. All we have to do is to dig a thousand miles straight
down.

Joe Gwinn

"new" theory there's a natural atomic reactor at the center of the
nickel-iron core.

http://nuclearplanet.com/
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...GPIA17BL45.DTL

But we are not massive enought to rate a micro-dot black hole at the
center of the atomic core. pity.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:34:12 -0500, Mark Jones
wrote:

Rex B wrote:
Mark Jones wrote:
Rex B wrote:

Actually, the http://www.livescience.com/ has a lot of very interesting
articles. I bookmarked that one.

What we really need is a device, perhaps nanobots or a miniature
black-hole (or
a combination of the two), which is fed garbage and it spits out
elemental
matter. Then there'd be no resource shortage ever... only an energy
shortage.

Might as well wish for a Good fairy with a magic wand

Or a reboot of the entire universe.

Be careful of what you wish for....

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Jones wrote:
Rex B wrote:
Actually, the http://www.livescience.com/ has a lot of very interesting
articles. I bookmarked that one.

What we really need is a device, perhaps nanobots or a miniature black-hole (or
a combination of the two), which is fed garbage and it spits out elemental
matter. Then there'd be no resource shortage ever... only an energy shortage.

This ultimate recycling machine has been proposed in physics research
and may have been mentioned in sci.physics.research. It's a Large Mass
Spectrometer, binning vaporized osmium, boron, carbon, copper, and all
other elements into bins as the charged atoms (ions) fly past The Big
Ass Magnet. Some designs operate out in space.

Doug

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

In article ,
"Tony" wrote:

I believe this theory. How else could the core stay so hot after millions of
years without an internal reaction?

By the decay of radioactive elements in the core. All current theories
are one form or another of this; no chain-reaction fission is involved.
It turns out that one doesn't need much radioactive decay to account for
the net power flow. This will be the big problem for the
core-is-a-reactor theories, to prove (without peeking) that the power
comes from fission versus decay.

joe Gwinn

Tony
"William Wixon" wrote in message

"new" theory there's a natural atomic reactor at the center of the
nickel-iron core.

http://nuclearplanet.com/
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...GPIA17BL45.DTL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Insolo

Go to the store and buy a pumpkin- paint it in the form of the earth- blue
for oceans, green for continents. Find a needle and pry out a piece- that's
the amount of natural resources used in all of human history- now wipe the
piece in the blue part- thats all the pollution .
"Mark Jones" wrote in message
Jim Insolo wrote:
Where's all that stuff going- somebody shooting it out into space?

No, it's rusting in the form of steel cars, metal structures, bridges,

etc.

It's burning in the form of sodium-vapor streetlamps, solid rocket fuel,
refinery operations, etc.

One of the primary laws of physics is that matter cannot be created or
destroyed... so the metals aren't going anywhere, only being converted

into
stuff which is unusable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Jones

Jim Insolo wrote:
Go to the store and buy a pumpkin- paint it in the form of the earth- blue
for oceans, green for continents. Find a needle and pry out a piece- that's
the amount of natural resources used in all of human history- now wipe the
piece in the blue part- thats all the pollution .

Interesting. Can I ask where those facts are from? Not that I fear we're
running out of metal any time soon, (the media is saying we're all gonna die
from bird flu...) but it's good to know the facts. Look at Mars for instance...
that would have made an epic planet to mine iron from, except it all rusted!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

"Mark Jones" wrote in message
| Jim Insolo wrote:
| Go to the store and buy a pumpkin- paint it in the form of the earth-
blue
| for oceans, green for continents. Find a needle and pry out a piece-
that's
| the amount of natural resources used in all of human history- now wipe
the
| piece in the blue part- thats all the pollution .
|

| Interesting. Can I ask where those facts are from? Not that I fear we're
| running out of metal any time soon, (the media is saying we're all gonna
die
| from bird flu...) but it's good to know the facts. Look at Mars for
instance...
| that would have made an epic planet to mine iron from, except it all
rusted!

Well, I know for sure the iron is still there, it just has to be
extracted a little differently!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Stauffer

carl mciver wrote:

Well, I know for sure the iron is still there, it just has to be
extracted a little differently!

Right. I think iron is the second most abundant element on earth.

I used to work for a crack metallurgist. He said except for a few
metals, there was an abundence in the earth's crust, but in lower grade
ores that would be less economical and take more processing, but as we
need them we'll do it.

Taconite is a good example. Here in the Iron Country of Northern
Minnesota they used to mine very high grade hematite. When it began to
peter out, they developed ways to process the low grade ore taconite. In
developing taconite they developed pelletization, which is boon to
industry. Pellets can be shipped in cold weather, stockpiled, and have
limestone and other minerals added in during pelletization so that it
doesn't have to be done at furnace.

There is still lots of native copper (elemental copper, not oxide or
other ore) in Michigan, in very deep mines. But processing is so cheap
these days that much lower grade ore in shallower mines dominates copper
supply, and Michigan's deep mines are dormant.