Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default Walmart

Curious about the "smart battery chargers", what problems have you had
with them?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

"They shut off or report error conditions, where I think the battery
can be still charged. "

I have seen the same behavior.

I have been "testing" different smart chargers to hopefully find one
that works the way I want it to.

I have had some success with using a "dumb" charger to partially charge
a battery and then to finish charging with one of the "smart" ones.

I also have had chargers NOT shut off when the charge was finished. I
have also had SLA batteries burst because of too rapid a charge rate
when using a smart charger that was meant to charge SLA batteries of
the proper capacity.

In my opinion, "smart" chargers have yet to reach a status where I
would trust them unattended.

The two main brands of "smart" chargers (Vector and Schumcher) are
showing up under different brand names everywhere....they are all the
same chargers under their cases.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

I have a Vector, but I don't really trust it like I do my Solar and
Schumacher 1.5 Amp maintainers. Those have kept good batteries "up" for
5 years or more.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On 20 Jan 2006 11:05:24 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

[...]

I have had completely satisfactory performance from Minn-Kota
automatic chargers on deep-cycle batteries in my boat.

Walmart John Normile Metalworking 84 February 22nd 06 06:59 AM
Walmart Steve B Metalworking 4 January 23rd 06 04:12 PM
Walmart Tom Gardner Metalworking 16 January 21st 06 03:55 AM
Walmart Jim Insolo Metalworking 3 January 19th 06 07:52 PM
walmart power tools opinions Eli Sucks Home Repair 12 December 31st 04 07:41 AM