SRF

Default Small repairs

Hi all.

I'm cleaning up a South Bend 10" Heavy and want to make it look really nice.
One problem is that there are a number of nicks, some fairly good size.
Most are in places where I can't just grind the surface down. I don't want
to use epoxy where it is not a painted surface since the epoxy will show up
pretty obviously against the polished steel. I don't want to weld it and
put stresses into this nicely aged metal. I was wondering if spray welding
would work and can it be done by a home shop guy. Or is there any epoxy out
there that looks like polished steel? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Steve.

SRF

As I was poking around on the Internet I came across this

http://www.luminore.com/products/Cas...ing%20Page.htm

Anyone have experience with this stuff?

Thanks.
Steve.

"SRF" wrote in message
r.com...
Hi all.

I'm cleaning up a South Bend 10" Heavy and want to make it look really

nice.
One problem is that there are a number of nicks, some fairly good size.
Most are in places where I can't just grind the surface down. I don't

want
to use epoxy where it is not a painted surface since the epoxy will show

up
pretty obviously against the polished steel. I don't want to weld it and
put stresses into this nicely aged metal. I was wondering if spray

welding
would work and can it be done by a home shop guy. Or is there any epoxy

out
there that looks like polished steel? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Steve.

Marty Escarcega

[posted and mailed]

"SRF" wrote in
r.com:

Hi all.

I'm cleaning up a South Bend 10" Heavy and want to make it look really
nice. One problem is that there are a number of nicks, some fairly
good size. Most are in places where I can't just grind the surface
down. I don't want to use epoxy where it is not a painted surface
since the epoxy will show up pretty obviously against the polished
steel. I don't want to weld it and put stresses into this nicely aged
metal. I was wondering if spray welding would work and can it be done
by a home shop guy. Or is there any epoxy out there that looks like
polished steel? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Steve.

If its a machined surface, I would not touch it.
If its non critical, I wouldn't worry about it. Polish everything else
up. Its not a brand new machine, it does add some character to it. :-)

Marty
John

Marty Escarcega wrote:
"SRF" wrote in
I'm cleaning up a South Bend 10" Heavy and want to make it look really
nice. One problem is that there are a number of nicks, some fairly
good size. Most are in places where I can't just grind the surface
down. I don't want to use epoxy where it is not a painted surface
since the epoxy will show up pretty obviously against the polished
steel. I don't want to weld it and put stresses into this nicely aged
metal. I was wondering if spray welding would work and can it be done
by a home shop guy. Or is there any epoxy out there that looks like
polished steel? Any other suggestions?

If its a machined surface, I would not touch it.
If its non critical, I wouldn't worry about it. Polish everything else
up. Its not a brand new machine, it does add some character to it. :-)

Leave it alone, they're battle scars and as Marty says
it gives it character. For arguments sake say that you
would spend hours to clean that all up somehow and than
*you* put a nick in it: You would feel very bad about it.
If you leave it alone you can say: "Eh, another nick
so what, you can't see the difference" and even smile
when you think: "Good thing that I listened to Marty's
and John's advice and did not waste my time" HTH
--
SATOR AREPO TENET OPERA ROTAS
Have 5 nice days! John

Gunner

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:04:36 GMT, John wrote:

If its a machined surface, I would not touch it.
If its non critical, I wouldn't worry about it. Polish everything else
up. Its not a brand new machine, it does add some character to it. :-)

Leave it alone, they're battle scars and as Marty says
it gives it character. For arguments sake say that you
would spend hours to clean that all up somehow and than
*you* put a nick in it: You would feel very bad about it.
If you leave it alone you can say: "Eh, another nick
so what, you can't see the difference" and even smile
when you think: "Good thing that I listened to Marty's
and John's advice and did not waste my time" HTH

When I first started dragging machines home..I was spending a lot of
time restoring them. And not a lot of time using them. When I did
restore a machine, paint etc..I realized that I was probably gonna
ding them..and I did.

It was something that Tnut ( I think) said that finally struck a
chord..something about "**** the paint, fix it good enough to use, and
use the damned thing for making stuff like it was intended".

And now Im having more fun making stuff than piddling around making
them pretty.

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Marty Escarcega

Gunner wrote in
:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:04:36 GMT, John wrote:

If its a machined surface, I would not touch it.
If its non critical, I wouldn't worry about it. Polish everything

else
up. Its not a brand new machine, it does add some character to it.

:-)

[...]

Yup, I have nearly passed the point of ripping them apart myself, it
takes an awful lot of work...though I try and wipe them down
occassionally and clean them up, oil them down.

Marty
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

It was something that Tnut ( I think) said that finally struck a
chord..something about "**** the paint, fix it good enough to use, and
use the damned thing for making stuff like it was intended".

Yep. Or at least with me, when I'm restoring something
to 'look pretty' I don't lose sight of that fact. Indeed
the most useful tools in my shop (both at home, and at work)
are the ones that simply look the nastiest.

I cringe at the thought of folks looking at my hardinge
horizontal mill, the paint is *so* ugly:

http://www.metalworking.com/RCM-gallery/files/Rozen,Jim/Nshop2.jpg

but I just don't see any sense in doing a cosmetic, or
even functional restoration on it - after replacing the
broken bits, and re-doing the feed screw nuts, it just
won't stop performing its intended purpose.

The hlvh at work honestly looks like it's been shot at
and missed, **** at and hit. But damn it sure works nice.

Jim

please reply to: