jim rozen

Default Small repairs

In article , Gunner says...

It was something that Tnut ( I think) said that finally struck a
chord..something about "**** the paint, fix it good enough to use, and
use the damned thing for making stuff like it was intended".

Yep. Or at least with me, when I'm restoring something
to 'look pretty' I don't lose sight of that fact. Indeed
the most useful tools in my shop (both at home, and at work)
are the ones that simply look the nastiest.

I cringe at the thought of folks looking at my hardinge
horizontal mill, the paint is *so* ugly:

http://www.metalworking.com/RCM-gallery/files/Rozen,Jim/Nshop2.jpg

but I just don't see any sense in doing a cosmetic, or
even functional restoration on it - after replacing the
broken bits, and re-doing the feed screw nuts, it just
won't stop performing its intended purpose.

The hlvh at work honestly looks like it's been shot at
and missed, **** at and hit. But damn it sure works nice.

Jim

please reply to: