Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
grace

Default air compressor

hi all,
which is the best air compressor forum?
ty

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM^3

"grace" wrote in message
. ..
hi all,
which is the best air compressor forum?
ty

For what compressor use: pneumatic tools, house painting, diving,
airbrushing, tire inflation, or something else?

Since there's no single compressor that excells at everything, you need to
be a bit more specific. grin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

"grace" wrote in message
. ..
| hi all,
| which is the best air compressor forum?
| ty

Right here is the place to be. Since both this group and compressors
put out copious amounts of overheated air, I'd say you needn't look any
farther.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"grace" wrote in message
. ..
hi all,
which is the best air compressor forum?
ty

Ya tryin' to start a religious argument?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 02:09:06 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "carl
mciver" quickly quoth:

"grace" wrote in message
| hi all,
| which is the best air compressor forum?
| ty

Right here is the place to be. Since both this group and compressors
put out copious amounts of overheated air, I'd say you needn't look any
farther.

Bwahahaha! Two points and an Atta Boy! , Carl.

Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
grace

yes, i should have been specific. something like a 5-7 hp two stage, single
phase (220)for running air tools,blasting,filling tires,etc etc. let's say i
need about 14-16 cfm @90 psi. my usual use is between 100 and 120 psi.
anyway it's good to know it's the right forum.

1)ok, here are the questions. is a "ciasons" 5 hp 2 stage,single phase,two
or three cylinder with a 800 rpm pump a good buy? is it a known company? i
must add that it's a one time investment to use about an hour or two daily.

2) i need also to silence it. are there any methods of making it quieter
than it is? (nutty neighbors,that's all) the only space i have is a one car
garage set up with a small workshop.

3) i once heard that i can get an old 10 horse compressor and underspin it
by switching pulleys. it was an engineer who told me that. but when i asked
some companies if i could do so, they freaked out saying the machines were
built to run at certain speeds and you should not slow them down.

3) i saw one company online. "eaton compressor" they make it themselves and
have low running pumps (800 rpm). do any of you folks use them? any
comments? they are very fairly priced.

4)what would you say is the best and most reliable? i tried IR once but they
are too noisey.
ty

"RAM^3" wrote in message
"grace" wrote in message
. ..
hi all,
which is the best air compressor forum?
ty

For what compressor use: pneumatic tools, house painting, diving,
airbrushing, tire inflation, or something else?

Since there's no single compressor that excells at everything, you need to
be a bit more specific. grin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:03:26 -0800, "grace"
wrote:

yes, i should have been specific. something like a 5-7 hp two stage, single
phase (220)for running air tools,blasting,filling tires,etc etc. let's say i
need about 14-16 cfm @90 psi. my usual use is between 100 and 120 psi.
anyway it's good to know it's the right forum.

1)ok, here are the questions. is a "ciasons" 5 hp 2 stage,single phase,two
or three cylinder with a 800 rpm pump a good buy? is it a known company? i
must add that it's a one time investment to use about an hour or two daily.

I have heard of them, but know nothing more than that.

2) i need also to silence it. are there any methods of making it quieter
than it is? (nutty neighbors,that's all) the only space i have is a one car
garage set up with a small workshop.

Build a soundproof room for it to live in. Studs, drywall over
fiber sound board, insulation, solid core door. Make provisions for
ventilation and a thermostat controlled fan, but run both the cool air
input and warm air output through some ducting and/or long labyrinth
stud spaces to keep most of the noise from exiting the room.

And make sure you have a good inlet air filter, and you can install
a muffler on the compressor air inlet after the filter to keep the
sound from coming back out that way.

3) i once heard that i can get an old 10 horse compressor and underspin it
by switching pulleys. it was an engineer who told me that. but when i asked
some companies if i could do so, they freaked out saying the machines were
built to run at certain speeds and you should not slow them down.

You can under-speed compressors to a point to reduce both the noise
and the horsepower requirements - Look at the Grainger catalog. They
list a batch of various sized compressors and list how fast you can
spin the same unit when driven by a 1, 2, or 3 HP prime mover. But
you reach a point where they're turning too slowly to be efficient.

3) i saw one company online. "eaton compressor" they make it themselves and
have low running pumps (800 rpm). do any of you folks use them? any
comments? they are very fairly priced.

4)what would you say is the best and most reliable? i tried IR once but they
are too noisey.

Quincy is supposed to be the Gold Standard for long life according
to several friends, with Ingersoll-Rand in the second tier. But if
you aren't going to run it long and hard, anything decently designed
and oil lubricated will do.

And changing the oil every once in a while will lengthen their life
markedly - don't guess, don't dismiss, put an hour-meter on it and
change the oil every 10 running hours (or whatever they call for).

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 04:32:59 GMT, Ignoramus26433
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 04:22:17 GMT, Bruce L Bergman wrote:
And changing the oil every once in a while will lengthen their life
markedly - don't guess, don't dismiss, put an hour-meter on it and
change the oil every 10 running hours (or whatever they call for).

Bruce, I really like your hour meter idea. My compressor is 220V, are
there any 220v hour meters? I am definitley going to get one.

Sure! There are two on EBay right now.