Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wrace

Default Need to make some 55 gal drum dollies

I have some left over casters and want to make some simple drum dollies. The
caster plate measures 3 5/8 x 2 3/8 in size.
I will be making one for a 55 gallon drum, two for 30 gallon drums, and one
for an oddball sized mini garbage can. I'm thinking just a real simple
rolled/ringed flatbar for the lip and then two pieces of flatbar in a cross
pattern for the bottom/caster mounts.

I don't have much steel left after my latest project so the steel for this
project will be purchased new, either from the shorts section of the steel
shop or in 20' lengths and just put the left over on the shelf. What size
flat bar would you think good for this type of project? What thickness
flatbar can be reasonably bent around the bottom of the drum without heat,
by hand? What size and thickness for the caster mounts?

Thanks
Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"wrace" wrote: (clip) What size flat bar would you think good for this
type of project? What thickness flatbar can be reasonably bent around the
bottom of the drum without heat, by hand? What size and thickness for the
caster mounts?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How much weight will be in the drums?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wrace

The 55 gallon steel drum holds shovels, picks etc. maybe 50lbs plus the
weight of the drum.

The small garbage can holds floor dry, maybe 75lbs or so.

The 30 gallon holds scrap steel pieces, maybe 120lbs there abouts.

Wayne

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
How much weight will be in the drums?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

"wrace" wrote in message
| I have some left over casters and want to make some simple drum dollies.
The
| caster plate measures 3 5/8 x 2 3/8 in size.
| I will be making one for a 55 gallon drum, two for 30 gallon drums, and
one
| for an oddball sized mini garbage can. I'm thinking just a real simple
| rolled/ringed flatbar for the lip and then two pieces of flatbar in a
cross
| pattern for the bottom/caster mounts.

Would a piece of plywood or equivalent cut round with a metal strap lip
around the outside work for you?