Default !! Hypertherm Plasma Cutter Help...

IF THIS IS THE WRONG GROUP FOR SUCH A REQUEST I APOLOGIZE!!

I am a plasma cutter newbie. I recently purchased a 4 x 8 CNC table
that I mounted a Hypertherm PowerMax 1000 to with a machine head. I
currently have the 40amp nozzle installed, but I also have the 60amp
nozzle. I did read through the manual and have correctly done all the
hookups. I have been doing some practice cuts and have had decent
result, but i want to ask the group for help.

I'm sure there are many of you out there with many years of experience
and I have none!! Can someone offer me some advice so that i can
compile a handy cut chart for myself. I am looking for information
such as: material type / thickness / standoff / Amperage / cut speed
/ air pressure. I home to cut mild steel, stainless, and aluminum.
Right now I am suffering from ALOT of dross and I'm just looking for
some guidance.

Thank you. If I did post to the wrong group could someone at least
tell me where to look for this information.

Please post or reply to chuck dot nan at gte dot net

Alan

Too much dross usually comes from too slow drag speed, too low or too high
amperage for the metal thickness, too much gap, too little air pressure, or
a combination of any of the above. You just have to experiment with the
variables until you get the hang of it. Follow the guidelines for the
particular metal thickness. First thing is usually to speed up the cutting
speed. Faster is better until it blows back, then slow down just a tad.
Keep the tip as close to the material as possible without contact, unless
you are using a drag tip. Hope this helps some.

By the way what CNC cutting table did you end up getting, I am looking for
one myself.

Take Care,

Alan
wrote in message
[...]

Mark

Alan wrote:

Too much dross usually comes from too slow drag speed, too low or too high
amperage for the metal thickness, too much gap, too little air pressure, or
a combination of any of the above.

You forgot the need for dry air.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)