Mike

Default Opinions on Snap-On Plasma Cutter

Hello,

I'm trolling the net looking for anyone who can offer reality-based
opinions on a particular model of plasma cutter. There's a Snap-On
model YA2230 for sale in my area. I know very little about it yet,
aside from the fact that it's 220V only, listed at $1150 Canadian
(roughly 850 USD)

Can anyone offer any suggestions? This email *does* work, despite the
name.

thanks!!
Mike
Keith Marshall

I'm trolling the net looking for anyone who can offer reality-based
opinions on a particular model of plasma cutter. There's a Snap-On
model YA2230 for sale in my area. I know very little about it yet,
aside from the fact that it's 220V only, listed at $1150 Canadian
(roughly 850 USD)

I don't know anything about that one specifically but I did a bit of
searching and here's what I found:

A search for YA2230 on the Snap-On site gives me the following:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_d...store&tool=all

You may have to paste the link for it to work. Snap-On sells it for a bit
over $1400! Since it's a 110V machine it may not be the correct one but it
is the only thing that I get when I search their site for that number.

Anyway, if that is indeed what they're selling it's not a 220V machine and
it's very lightweight. It's made by Century and is their model 82021 which
is only $950 new from Northern Tools:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...4&categoryId=0

So if you see it and it looks like the one in either of the pictures their
price is too high in my opinion.

If you see it and find that it is a much larger machine it's probably a
decent deal assuming it works OK. Even a bigger unit is probably built by
Century so you may be able to get a manual and/or parts cheaper than you
could from Snap-On.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"The universe is full of magical things,
patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper."
-Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes, 1934
"Mike" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I'm trolling the net looking for anyone who can offer reality-based
opinions on a particular model of plasma cutter. There's a Snap-On
model YA2230 for sale in my area. I know very little about it yet,
aside from the fact that it's 220V only, listed at $1150 Canadian
(roughly 850 USD)

Can anyone offer any suggestions? This email *does* work, despite the
name.

thanks!!
Mike

Erie Patsellis

But the advantage of buying from the Snap On man is the fact that
it'll only cost you XX dollars per week. (I managed to convince my wife
using that rationale and now finally have a tool chest large enough for all
my tools...)

erie

So if you see it and it looks like the one in either of the pictures their
price is too high in my opinion.

Keith Marshall

But the advantage of buying from the Snap On man is the fact that
it'll only cost you XX dollars per week. (I managed to convince my wife
using that rationale and now finally have a tool chest large enough for all
my tools...)

True enough and I've been there myself. :-) But with the Snap On price
being about 50% higher and the fact that you can get a credit card with a
very low introductory rate and with a reasonable final rate nowadays I think
I'd stay away from Snap On. I love their hand tools and wish I could afford
more of them but if the best they can do for welders and plasma cutters is
offer a less well-known brand marked up by 50% I think I'd pass it up.

And if I were going to buy a lessor brand of comparable specs I'd probably
go with something like this:

http://www.welding-direct.com/pca30plassys.html

It's only $675.

Best Regards,