Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

Default small/light ulu/mezzaluna knife

This has metal so it shouldn't be completely OT. My 92 yo mother is in
a nursing home and has trouble eating unless the food is cut up a lot
(not many teeth left). She is too frail to handle a regular knife and
it's hard to get the staff to cut things up for her. My thought was
that maybe she could handle a small light ulu/mezzaluna knife, which is
like a sharp brass nuckles and cuts by rocking the highly curved blade.

My question is where to find a small light version for her to try to see
if it works. SS would obviously be best, doesn't have to be razor
sharp. Any clues on sources or knife discussion groups would help. I
tried google but most of the stuff there was way too big and heavy, I
need something small and light for a frail person.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

In article ,
Nick Hull wrote:

This has metal so it shouldn't be completely OT. My 92 yo mother is in
a nursing home and has trouble eating unless the food is cut up a lot
(not many teeth left). She is too frail to handle a regular knife and
it's hard to get the staff to cut things up for her. My thought was
that maybe she could handle a small light ulu/mezzaluna knife, which is
like a sharp brass nuckles and cuts by rocking the highly curved blade.

My question is where to find a small light version for her to try to see
if it works. SS would obviously be best, doesn't have to be razor
sharp. Any clues on sources or knife discussion groups would help. I
tried google but most of the stuff there was way too big and heavy, I
need something small and light for a frail person.

There are many such knives sold in kitchen supply stores. The small
ones are sold for chopping herbs, and come with a dished wooden cutting
board. I saw one last Saturday. I bet a google would turn up 100,000
sources.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article ,
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

There are many such knives sold in kitchen supply stores. The small
ones are sold for chopping herbs, and come with a dished wooden cutting
board. I saw one last Saturday. I bet a google would turn up 100,000
sources.

Joe Gwinn

Also check with home medical supply stores in their ADL (Aids to Daily
Living) sections. Where I do part-time wheelchair repairs they have
racks full of adaptive kitchenware and eating aids.

If you can't find one close, email me and I'll get pricing, etc. for you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article
,
John Husvar wrote:

In article ,
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

There are many such knives sold in kitchen supply stores. The small
ones are sold for chopping herbs, and come with a dished wooden cutting
board. I saw one last Saturday. I bet a google would turn up 100,000
sources.

Joe Gwinn

Also check with home medical supply stores in their ADL (Aids to Daily
Living) sections. Where I do part-time wheelchair repairs they have
racks full of adaptive kitchenware and eating aids.

If you can't find one close, email me and I'll get pricing, etc. for you.

Oops! Deleted a little too much. Sorry.

Message was intended for Nick Hull's information.