Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
CAMCOMPCO

Default Estate sales...how do you find them

I here of people going to estate sales all of the time but am at a loss
to find information on them, when I do, there is never info on what is
for sale, do you just have to go to these things and hope...seems kind
of random to me..
Any tips?

Thanks again

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

In my neck of the woods they are all listed in the Sunday newspaper,
Classified section.

Steve.

"CAMCOMPCO" wrote in message
ups.com...
I here of people going to estate sales all of the time but am at a loss
to find information on them, when I do, there is never info on what is
for sale, do you just have to go to these things and hope...seems kind
of random to me..
Any tips?

Thanks again

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall

"CAMCOMPCO" wrote in message
I here of people going to estate sales all of the time but am at a loss
to find information on them, when I do, there is never info on what is
for sale, do you just have to go to these things and hope...seems kind
of random to me..
Any tips?

Try this site:

http://www.auctionzip.com/

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Could you tell us what you are looking for?

Estate sales can mean many things to many people.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"CAMCOMPCO" wrote in message
I here of people going to estate sales all of the time but am at a loss
to find information on them, when I do, there is never info on what is
for sale, do you just have to go to these things and hope...seems kind
of random to me..
Any tips?

I just got an e mail today from a company here in Las Vegas that do estate
liquidations.

Yes, it is a random thing, but usually they are handled by professionals
that know the value of what they are selling, and have skimmed the good
pieces to resell at their shops or on ebay.

The company has either purchased the goods from a deceased person's heirs,
and are selling it for what they want, or they are selling it and taking a
cut.

In either case, you are one layer removed from the source, meaning you will
pay more. I have been considering new ways of acquiring ebay goods. Estate
sales are one of them. BUT, you have to take it all. That usually involves
storing some of it, transporting a lot of it, making a lot of money on some
of it, making a little money on some of it, and making nothing on some of it
and having to dispose of it.

Yes, there are estate sales companies, it is just that you will pay more
than you would have if you could have gotten the merchandise from the heirs.
Look around in your town, and do a google of "estate sales pacoima" or
whatever.

Just remember you are not going to get it for the best price unless you are
buying it directly from the heirs. Some times, I drive around and see
"estate sale" signs that are just garage sales to dispose of grandmas's
stuff. Those can be killer because they usually just want to get rid of the
stuff, and are uninformed about the value.

I am now researching what is required to be an "estate liquidator" in my
state, and to advertise for estate liquidations.

Let us know what you find out and how you do.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 22:00:43 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"CAMCOMPCO" wrote in message
[...]

Oh yessss indeedy.

I am now researching what is required to be an "estate liquidator" in my
state, and to advertise for estate liquidations.

Let us know what you find out and how you do.

Steve

You can always read the obits..wait a week and call the next of
kin....

Cold..but it often works pretty well.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Gunner" wrote

You can always read the obits..wait a week and call the next of
kin....

Cold..but it often works pretty well.

Gunner

I don't think that would be cold. A professional approach would do wonders,
and I think some of the heirs in that situation would welcome not having to
deal with the disposal of the property.

I mean, you're not showing up with a set of World Book Encyclopedias (last
year's) and saying, "Mrs. Smith ordered these three months ago. Balance due
$1864.83, please."

It would just be business. Death, funerals, and estates are a business.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

"It would just be business. Death, funerals, and estates are a
business. "

Well this is true....until it happens to your family.

I also know what I think of those who attempt to benefit from taking
advantage of the disadvantaged.

In my experience, that opinion is shared by many people.

An example...when a relative died our family was approached by a
significant number of "professional" parties interested in acquiring a
variety of valuable and desirable items before, during and after the
period of time the funeral occurred. In two cases, the parties
initiated contact before the body had cooled. I can assure you that
none of the parties gained access to anything and their names went on a
list of those who our family will not be doing business with now or in
the future.

In nature vultures travel in groups and as such you can expect to have
significant competition if you think you can derive economic benefit
from a liquidation of an estate. In my experience the immediate family
will skim the best from the estate, next will be the immediate circle
of friends, then the neighbors and then finally the scraps will be
placed on a public auction. Venues such as Ebay have resulted in the
family now having an easy method of liquifying assets of any value with
a minimum of hassle.

Also as others have noted, it takes resources like storage and time to
effectively convert any items to cash...resources that can be better
used.

I can think of many better ways to make a dollar.....

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
"It would just be business. Death, funerals, and estates are a
business. "

Well this is true....until it happens to your family.

I also know what I think of those who attempt to benefit from taking
advantage of the disadvantaged.

In my experience, that opinion is shared by many people.

Since I wrote the first two sentences, I assume I can respond.

Nothing was said about taking advantage of anyone. That would not be right.

However, there are circumstances where heirs want to just dispose of
property. They may be from out of town. They might not care about the
property. They might be jerks. They may be too busy, too indifferent, too
emotionally involved. Whatever reason, there are all sorts of situations.

I have bought things from estates, from heirs, from family friends of the
deceased. In all cases, tact and honesty is the best. And in all
situations, I was thanked for sparing someone from having to deal with
tender issues.

And if the parties involved agree to the deal, there is no big deal. There
are no "vultures", and just like funeral directors, there are needs for
people who are willing to provide special services. There are companies
that come in and clean up after a death. Are they "vultures"? Or should
the family go in there and clean up the mess?

It's all the way you look at it, and if you look at it from a moral slant,
there is no foul.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

[...]

Steve, I meant no insult....you make some good points.

I am just pointing out that this subject is a very sensitive one and
one must approach it carefully...very carefully.

Several of my better machines came from estate auctions or directly
from an estate via a family member. In each and every case, the family
initiated the transfer of assets. I too was thanked by the family for
conducting my end of the transaction with upmost sensitivity, respect
and honesty in regards to the famiy situation. In each and every case,
the family had dealt with so called "professionals" aka "vultures" who
had not exhibited such characteristics.

You are right when you say it is all the way you look at it. In my
opinion, a good litmus test of what is "fair and proper" is what you
would consider to be "fair and proper" behavior, both financially and
socially, if it involved your own assets being liquidated by your loved
ones after your death.

I will add to the discussion that if you care about your loved ones,
you will have the method and means to liquidate your assets already in
place prior to your death. The last thing a grieving family should have
to deal with is how to liquidate assets they likely have no working
knowledge of nor interest in.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[...]

And thank you for some very good points, also.

My assets won't be much of an issue, as it is all in trusts.

My personal possessions will be another thing. I have instructions as to
who gets what. Yet, in all my "stuff", I know there will be things that
will be given away, thrown away, or sold for less than value.

I just trust that my heirs and the people who deal with them will do the
"right" thing. And if they don't, that's on their karma and final
accounting.

I have dealt with several deaths, and the ensuing property. Mainly because
the dead person and I had such things in common as tools, guns,
collectibles, and such. So, the families hit the ball into my court, and
all I did was follow up.

I do intend to get involved in estate sale property, and feel that my own
sense of right and wrong will take me down the proper path. It's easy. One
just follows their conscience, whichever way it takes them. They're the one
that pays the final tab.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
CAMCOMPCO

Looking for a shaper in specific, lathe/mill/welder, they all work,
just looking for good deals, my Bro has my old Logan he wants to
upgrade, I could see upgrading my Atlas to a South Bend, etc....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

wrote:

"CAMCOMPCO" wrote in message
[...]

It seems more sleazy than cold to me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:27:38 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"CAMCOMPCO" wrote in message
[...]

Your opinion is noted.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:27:38 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"CAMCOMPCO" wrote in message
[...]

And your note that my opinion is noted is noted :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

[...]

In your research on this subject, what is the going rate for companies
to render these services?

TMT