Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff R

Default copper chem reaction

"john morris" wrote in message
I know it's not wise to connect different metals such as copper tubing to
galvinazed steel pipe because of a chemical reaction between the metals,

but
does that hold true for metals like aluminum and brass? Aluminum and

copper?
I am a novice and tend to build my projects out of scrap stock and things

can salvage, so I end up mixing a lot of different metals. Any help
appreaciated.
John Morris.

That would depend on the environment and the application. Will moisture be
present? Galvanic corrosion will happen with practically any metal pair,
and you can't avoid mix-n-match in many applications. (Steel studs in an
alloy head, fr'instance.)
Will you need to take the pieces apart some time in the future?
Is appearance critical?
(too many questions....)

What sort of thing are you making?

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff R

"john morris" wrote in message
Im making a pnumatic cylinder that will work a christmas display, the push
rod is just drill rod, and the ends are aluminum. I have a piece of hard
copper tubing that works for the cylinder. I expect wear and I am just
hoping to get one season out of it, but just wondered if there will be

other
things to worry about other than wear. Keep in mind, this is a hobby for

me
and with each project I learn a little more. ( even in failure)

So.. that'll be HSS against copper, yes?
A little oil in the bore?
In motion most of the time?
Only for one season?

Go for it.
No galvanic problems there.

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

john morris wrote:

... with each project I learn a little more. ( even in failure)

*Especially* with failure. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 22:10:00 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

john morris wrote:

... with each project I learn a little more. ( even in failure)

*Especially* with failure. Bob

Failure? What's that? Perhaps a loud ringing noise (KABLAM) that
is the last thing you ever hear ... and that isn't a failure if it was
intended.

We all sometimes spend more time and money than anticipated in the
"technical approach research and evaluation" phase(s)......
occasionally followed by a "priority review and judicious redirection"
phase.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john morris

I know it's not wise to connect different metals such as copper tubing to
galvinazed steel pipe because of a chemical reaction between the metals, but
does that hold true for metals like aluminum and brass? Aluminum and copper?
I am a novice and tend to build my projects out of scrap stock and things I
can salvage, so I end up mixing a lot of different metals. Any help
appreaciated.
John Morris.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john morris

Im making a pnumatic cylinder that will work a christmas display, the push
rod is just drill rod, and the ends are aluminum. I have a piece of hard
copper tubing that works for the cylinder. I expect wear and I am just
hoping to get one season out of it, but just wondered if there will be other
things to worry about other than wear. Keep in mind, this is a hobby for me
and with each project I learn a little more. ( even in failure)
"Jeff R" wrote in message
u...

[...]

Brazing or welding thick copper? [email protected] Metalworking 30 October 25th 05 04:35 AM
Is burning copper dangerous RobR Home Repair 11 October 19th 05 03:33 PM
Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
copper and gasoline [email protected] Metalworking 28 January 9th 05 08:10 PM
Determining Geologic Sources of Native American Copper Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 92 June 23rd 04 05:21 PM