Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Charlie Gary

Default Balls

Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:
In article
Snip

Robin

Have you ever tried using a socket larger than the pin to peen the
surface around the hole? It works slicker than snot on aluminum. I
would imagine an impact socket would work on steel. Just make sure the
first time you try it the pin is already in the hole. Put the socket
over the pin, center it nicely, and smack it with your hammer. Takes
the slip right out of slip fit.

I don't even want to know what kind of sexual
perversions you two are discussing...

What kind did you imagine yourself? Did they involve other people, or
just yourself? Who wore the mask?

Later,

Charlie

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

"Cliff" wrote in message

There are issues like drilling into other features if you're not careful,
but the engineering department has started to mark hole locations as
opposed
to letting the toolmaker decide.

After how many years?

How many years has this taken? I think we've been in business for more than
15 years.

Years experience as a toolmaker to decide on hole locations? Apprentices get
to do it...

This doesn't do much for interchangability,
but that's another kettle.

See -A- above.

I didn't say the way we're doing it was the greatest way, but it does work.
I'd like to wire the holes so that we can machine drop-in replicas but I
don't think I'll see anything like that for a while.

Regards,

Robin

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Martin H. Eastburn

I posted a web page - ? hammers.com or such - that had pictures and names.
Pein is an action word - Ball is describing with what. Pein with a 1/2" ball...
The hammers are in oz sizes.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Jim Wilson wrote:
Proctologically Violated©® wrote...

Which would then make "ball-pein" redundant, no?

No, "ball" describes the shape of the pein.

Jim

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Martin H. Eastburn

Blacksmiths Pein over screw/bolt into a oversized and compressing fit against the Nut
in use. It was the way to make a locked tight version.
Mushroom the head...

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Cliff wrote:

So what uses have you found for the ball end of a ball-peen (ball
pein) hammer?

Peining rivets. Thats what they were made for.
...lew...

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Cliff

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 20:28:00 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

I posted a web page - ? hammers.com or such - that had pictures and names.
Pein is an action word - Ball is describing with what. Pein with a 1/2" ball...
The hammers are in oz sizes.

Then what's the other end for?
--
Cliff

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Cliff

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 20:31:26 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Blacksmiths Pein over screw/bolt into a oversized and compressing fit against the Nut
in use. It was the way to make a locked tight version.
Mushroom the head...

No balls needed, eh?
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Lew Hartswick

wrote:

I posted a web page - ? hammers.com or such - that had pictures and names.
Pein is an action word - Ball is describing with what. Pein with a 1/2" ball...
The hammers are in oz sizes.

Then what's the other end for?

Pounding, you moron. :-)
...lew...
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Cliff

wrote:

I posted a web page - ? hammers.com or such - that had pictures and names.
Pein is an action word - Ball is describing with what. Pein with a 1/2" ball...
The hammers are in oz sizes.

Then what's the other end for?

Pounding, you moron. :-)

Seemed like he was already pounding with the other end G.
Has a spare, does he? Why? Defective hammers are standard?
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Martin H. Eastburn

Cute - the ball on my set of ball pein hammers are not circular in all directions.
The smallest one is slightly pointed.
And the Ball is the head :-)
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

zadoc wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:47:58 -0700, Jim Wilson
wrote:

Proctologically Violated©® wrote...

Which would then make "ball-pein" redundant, no?

No, "ball" describes the shape of the pein.

Isn't a ball the same as a sphere? If so, how can it be attached to
the hammer head? Shouldn't it be described as a hemispherical head
hammer? :-)

Cheers,

Jim

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Martin H. Eastburn

Depended on what the smith had naturally - if a ball pein was there - then the ball
end was used to pein the bolt.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

wrote:

Blacksmiths Pein over screw/bolt into a oversized and compressing fit against the Nut
in use. It was the way to make a locked tight version.
Mushroom the head...

No balls needed, eh?

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Cliff

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 20:41:54 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Depended on what the smith had naturally - if a ball pein was there - then the ball
end was used to pein the bolt.

The other end would work better for that application I suspect.
Things slip & aim is poor .... and you are aiming just above the
nuts ....
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism

Great! I always wonder what to say when someone asks, "How are you
doing?" Next time, I'll try saying "Pretty well, actually; heck, I"m
having a sphere!"

And see which eyebrow raises...

Yes, the ball end is the peen end. You peen rivets round with it. The
flat (slightly domed) face can make a flat head on a rivet and of
course deliver a whack to a flat object. At least that's what we were
taught, and I have worked a few small rivets this way.

Doug

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Martin H. Eastburn

Doesn't sound like you have used one. The rounded ball end is very useful.
A flat face hammer can't dimple the center of a rod and begin to spread it
outward. A flat face can only bend over the edges. They tend to be thin
and would crack.

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

wrote:

Depended on what the smith had naturally - if a ball pein was there - then the ball
end was used to pein the bolt.

The other end would work better for that application I suspect.
Things slip & aim is poor .... and you are aiming just above the
nuts ....

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Cliff

wrote:

Depended on what the smith had naturally - if a ball pein was there - then the ball
end was used to pein the bolt.

The other end would work better for that application I suspect.
Things slip & aim is poor .... and you are aiming just above the
nuts ....

"No comment" ....
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
myal

Cliff wrote:
So what uses have you found for the ball end of a ball-peen
(ball pein) hammer?

shaping sheet steel .

vandalising cars

--
þÿOu(‚ñŠž

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
myal

Scott Henrichs wrote:
If you are correct then why don't they call a claw hammer a claw-pein
hammer?

Dixon wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message

So what uses have you found for the ball end of a ball-peen
(ball pein) hammer?
--
Cliff

The claw aint for hitting thngs with

I like to ask people that visit my shop to point the pein end out on a
ball-pein hammer and watch 90% of them point ( incorrectly ) at the
ball end.

Dixon

--
þÿOu(‚ñŠž
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Cliff

Dixon wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message

So what uses have you found for the ball end of a ball-peen
(ball pein) hammer?
--
Cliff

The claw aint for hitting thngs with